News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Sponge: Three-quarters of major U.K. retailers lack free in-store wi-fi
In the U.K., demand for free wi-fi is high and millions of people use the service in stores, cafes, restaurants and bars every week. However, according to a new survey from mobile marketing agency Sponge, three-quarters of the country's major retailers do not offer free wi-fi.
When Sponge surveyed 117 retailers with multiple stores in central London, they found that a whopping 76% did not offer free in-store wi-fi.
An efficient wi-fi set-up has benefits for both shoppers and stores alike. Requiring registration before wi-fi use enables the collection of customer data and the immediate dissemination of engaging content or promotions. In return, shoppers have free mobile access and deeper in-store and brand engagement.
Sponge's findings reveal that, while some retailers including Warehouse and John Lewis offer a winning experience with minimal registration requirements, subtle advertising and a strong wi-fi signal, others aren't leveraging the technology to its full potential. Many retailers aren't effectively communication to store visitors that wi-fi is available, while others fail to collect even the most minimal of customer data for registration, relying simply on a Terms and Conditions agreement.
"There's an increasing amount of evidence that wi-fi is becoming an important part of the omni-channel service proposition for retailers," said Dan Parker, CEO of Sponge. "It creates rich marketing opportunities, but hardly any are offering wi-fi and even less are telling customers and benefiting from its full potential. Encouraging people to register when they're in-store opens up a huge opportunity to offer something of value, increase shopper loyalty and repeat custom."
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...