News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers consider connected, seamless shopping crucial
Online shopping, mobile shopping, in-store shopping - it's all just shopping to consumers who don't distinguish between each channel but who instead want the entire experience to be "seamless".
It's a tall order, says Chris Donnelly, global managing director of Accenture's retail practice, but a seamless shopping experience across multiple channels is what customers expect.
The Accenture Seamless Retail Study, conducted across eight countries, found that half (49%) of consumers think the best way to improve the shopping experience is to make sure that all channels - in-store, online and mobile - are better integrated.
In essence, what consumers want is for retailers to allow them to shop via the channel that is most convenient to them, cited by a whopping 89% of respondents. It's not just consistent branding that consumers want, but a fully connected and integrated shopping experience where even products, pricing and promotions are consistent across channels.
While almost all survey respondents said they found in-store shopping easy, and three-quarters (74%) found online shopping a breeze, mobile is proving to be the channel least satisfying with just 26% saying they found mobile shopping easy.
"In many cases we have found a significant gap between consumer expectations and reality, but we believe seamlessness is achievable," says Donnelly. "Traditional retailers must take stock of their operational capabilities. They require a presence at every stage of the customer journey to deliver a consistently personalized, on-brand experience from discovery through research, purchase, fulfillment and beyond to product maintenance or returns."
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...