News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cartoon Network survey reveals growing influence of apps on Australian kids
The Cartoon Network's latest "New Generations" survey was released this month and a key take-out for marketers is that game console use has dropped considerably and the use of apps has doubled.
In the 10th "New Generations" survey it was revealed that, while TV still plays a major role in children's entertainment, app-enabled mobile devices are playing a far bigger role.
In the past 18 months, the use of apps by children has doubled, now standing at 69% thanks in part to the increased adoption of mobile devices. Almost half (48%) of Australian households now have a tablet, and 30% of children use such a device to access the Internet using either their own device or that of another family member.
On average, 7.1 apps were used by children aged between 4 and 14 during the previous month, with games being the most popular app. In fact, according to the survey, the use of game consoles has dropped considerably (32%) since the Cartoon Network's 2011 survey.
The New Generations survey also revealed that Australian children's spending power is at an all time high at $1.6 billion. That's despite a drop in pocket money, down from $12.38 in 2011 to $11.89 per week. However, the survey also revealed that children within homes that have subscription TV have access to 62% more spending money on average.
"When you look at that $1.6 billion in spending power, kids are a force to be reckoned with and yet, as a market, are often neglected," said senior manager of strategic research for Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Peter Hammer. "Our research also shows that kids have great influence over their parents spending as well."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...