News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cartoon Network survey reveals growing influence of apps on Australian kids
The Cartoon Network's latest "New Generations" survey was released this month and a key take-out for marketers is that game console use has dropped considerably and the use of apps has doubled.
In the 10th "New Generations" survey it was revealed that, while TV still plays a major role in children's entertainment, app-enabled mobile devices are playing a far bigger role.
In the past 18 months, the use of apps by children has doubled, now standing at 69% thanks in part to the increased adoption of mobile devices. Almost half (48%) of Australian households now have a tablet, and 30% of children use such a device to access the Internet using either their own device or that of another family member.
On average, 7.1 apps were used by children aged between 4 and 14 during the previous month, with games being the most popular app. In fact, according to the survey, the use of game consoles has dropped considerably (32%) since the Cartoon Network's 2011 survey.
The New Generations survey also revealed that Australian children's spending power is at an all time high at $1.6 billion. That's despite a drop in pocket money, down from $12.38 in 2011 to $11.89 per week. However, the survey also revealed that children within homes that have subscription TV have access to 62% more spending money on average.
"When you look at that $1.6 billion in spending power, kids are a force to be reckoned with and yet, as a market, are often neglected," said senior manager of strategic research for Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Peter Hammer. "Our research also shows that kids have great influence over their parents spending as well."
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...