News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cartoon Network survey reveals growing influence of apps on Australian kids
The Cartoon Network's latest "New Generations" survey was released this month and a key take-out for marketers is that game console use has dropped considerably and the use of apps has doubled.
In the 10th "New Generations" survey it was revealed that, while TV still plays a major role in children's entertainment, app-enabled mobile devices are playing a far bigger role.
In the past 18 months, the use of apps by children has doubled, now standing at 69% thanks in part to the increased adoption of mobile devices. Almost half (48%) of Australian households now have a tablet, and 30% of children use such a device to access the Internet using either their own device or that of another family member.
On average, 7.1 apps were used by children aged between 4 and 14 during the previous month, with games being the most popular app. In fact, according to the survey, the use of game consoles has dropped considerably (32%) since the Cartoon Network's 2011 survey.
The New Generations survey also revealed that Australian children's spending power is at an all time high at $1.6 billion. That's despite a drop in pocket money, down from $12.38 in 2011 to $11.89 per week. However, the survey also revealed that children within homes that have subscription TV have access to 62% more spending money on average.
"When you look at that $1.6 billion in spending power, kids are a force to be reckoned with and yet, as a market, are often neglected," said senior manager of strategic research for Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Peter Hammer. "Our research also shows that kids have great influence over their parents spending as well."
Image via Shutterstock
- The best practices for mobile brands in 2014
- Forecast: Big data to push SMBs into 2014
- Report: TV ads pushing engagement, intent
- Report: Online wide open for CPG brands
- Webrooming, Showrooming pushing shopper engagement
- Reports show what worked and didn't over Thanksgiving
- Value of price comparison providers revealed
- Commuters highly engaged and active mobile audience for brands, retailers
Featured White Papers
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...
- 10 Tips to Make your Facebook Content Newsfeed-Worthy
There's only one surefire way to reach the heart of your Facebook Fans: the newsfeed. And for brands, that means...
- Benefits of Web Self-Service
Customers want to solve their issues quickly and easily on the Web. Here we provide 3 recommended capabilities to invest...
- Google Hummingbird - The Marketer's Guide
Hummingbird is the most dramatic change that the Google search algorithm has seen in well over a decade....
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Use this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Wiley's Modern Marketing Book Bundle - A Free 163 Page Sampler
This Wiley e-book bundle includes selected materials from 6 recently published titles in Wiley's expansive catalog of titles. The material...
- 5 Recurring Revenue Growth Secrets
Your existing customers are the lifeblood of your business and the revenue that they provide is your most profitable. Why...