News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Cartoon Network survey reveals growing influence of apps on Australian kids
The Cartoon Network's latest "New Generations" survey was released this month and a key take-out for marketers is that game console use has dropped considerably and the use of apps has doubled.
In the 10th "New Generations" survey it was revealed that, while TV still plays a major role in children's entertainment, app-enabled mobile devices are playing a far bigger role.
In the past 18 months, the use of apps by children has doubled, now standing at 69% thanks in part to the increased adoption of mobile devices. Almost half (48%) of Australian households now have a tablet, and 30% of children use such a device to access the Internet using either their own device or that of another family member.
On average, 7.1 apps were used by children aged between 4 and 14 during the previous month, with games being the most popular app. In fact, according to the survey, the use of game consoles has dropped considerably (32%) since the Cartoon Network's 2011 survey.
The New Generations survey also revealed that Australian children's spending power is at an all time high at $1.6 billion. That's despite a drop in pocket money, down from $12.38 in 2011 to $11.89 per week. However, the survey also revealed that children within homes that have subscription TV have access to 62% more spending money on average.
"When you look at that $1.6 billion in spending power, kids are a force to be reckoned with and yet, as a market, are often neglected," said senior manager of strategic research for Turner Broadcasting System Asia Pacific, Peter Hammer. "Our research also shows that kids have great influence over their parents spending as well."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey finds email pressure for retailers
- Report: Email, mobile key to retail success
- Expert: Data key for financial campaigns
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...