News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Websites receive more traffic from tablets than smartphones
The most recent Adobe Digital Index, released today, reveals that websites around the globe now receive more traffic from tablets than from smartphones.
After analyzing more than 100 billion visits to more than 1,000 websites, Adobe estimates that 8% of traffic now originates from tablets. Slightly less, 7%, comes from smartphones and the rest is attributed to desktop and laptop PCs.
The countries covered in Adobe's analysis were the U.S., U.K., Australia, Canada, China, Japan, France, and Germany. The biggest margin of difference between smartphone and tablet web traffic was found in the U.K. where 12.2% originated from tablets and 7.4 smartphones. In the US, the gap is narrower with 9.1% for tablets and 7.4% for smartphones.
"In Japan and China, however, smartphones remain the mobile browsing device of choice," writes Adobe manager and primary analyst on the Digital Index, Tyler White. "This is not surprising given the smartphone capabilities that have existed in Japan for years and the high costs of tablets and high speed mobile access in China."
The reason for tablet traffic exceeding smartphones is simple - people prefer to use the larger mobile device for more in-depth browsing. Consequently they are more valuable in terms of ecommerce and engagement. Adobe found that tablet users visit 70% more pages on a website than smartphone users and spend more per transaction.
- Ad Roundup: Releases focus on data
- Survey: SMBs report good start to 2016
- Business mail rooms inundated with personal online shopping deliveries
- Study: Micro-businesses need more help
- eRetail, banking and airline ticketing earmarked as hot areas for online fraud
- Poll: SMBs worried over benefits, pay
- Expert: Tips for better small business expansion
- Mobile Roundup: Breaking down app, game installs
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...