News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Websites receive more traffic from tablets than smartphones
The most recent Adobe Digital Index, released today, reveals that websites around the globe now receive more traffic from tablets than from smartphones.
After analyzing more than 100 billion visits to more than 1,000 websites, Adobe estimates that 8% of traffic now originates from tablets. Slightly less, 7%, comes from smartphones and the rest is attributed to desktop and laptop PCs.
The countries covered in Adobe's analysis were the U.S., U.K., Australia, Canada, China, Japan, France, and Germany. The biggest margin of difference between smartphone and tablet web traffic was found in the U.K. where 12.2% originated from tablets and 7.4 smartphones. In the US, the gap is narrower with 9.1% for tablets and 7.4% for smartphones.
"In Japan and China, however, smartphones remain the mobile browsing device of choice," writes Adobe manager and primary analyst on the Digital Index, Tyler White. "This is not surprising given the smartphone capabilities that have existed in Japan for years and the high costs of tablets and high speed mobile access in China."
The reason for tablet traffic exceeding smartphones is simple - people prefer to use the larger mobile device for more in-depth browsing. Consequently they are more valuable in terms of ecommerce and engagement. Adobe found that tablet users visit 70% more pages on a website than smartphone users and spend more per transaction.
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
- Platform promises to connect marketers, consumers
- Mobile app shoppers generate more revenue than mobile website and desktop shoppers
- Mums turn to Facebook for recommendations and parenting communities
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
- Report: Retail, tech lead for mobile video
- Report: Pressure is on for security pros
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...