News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Video ads: Choice beats interruption
New research from Sharethrough and Nielsen hammers home the message that choice beats interruption when it comes to video advertising.
When Sharethrough and Nielsen compared pre-roll to native video ads, they found that native ads were far more effective at increasing brand lift.
Native ads (user-initiated video) were found to create 82% brand lift compared to pre-roll (auto-playing on user-selected content under 30 seconds in length) which created just 2.1% brand lift.
Those who were exposed to pre-roll ad units were 29.3% more likely to report they viewed the brand "unfavorably" or "very unfavorably" than those who had not been exposed to the campaign.
The research confirms what many already know - consumers prefer choice above being forced to watch an ad.
"While we've always considered it to be self-evident that choice beats interruption, sometimes you just need data to help hammer home the case," said Sharepoint VP of Marketing and Communications, Chris Schreiber.
According to the study, over 24 billion videos were streamed online in the U.S. in December, 2012, during which time consumers spent 360 billion minutes online.
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....