News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Video ads: Choice beats interruption
New research from Sharethrough and Nielsen hammers home the message that choice beats interruption when it comes to video advertising.
When Sharethrough and Nielsen compared pre-roll to native video ads, they found that native ads were far more effective at increasing brand lift.
Native ads (user-initiated video) were found to create 82% brand lift compared to pre-roll (auto-playing on user-selected content under 30 seconds in length) which created just 2.1% brand lift.
Those who were exposed to pre-roll ad units were 29.3% more likely to report they viewed the brand "unfavorably" or "very unfavorably" than those who had not been exposed to the campaign.
The research confirms what many already know - consumers prefer choice above being forced to watch an ad.
"While we've always considered it to be self-evident that choice beats interruption, sometimes you just need data to help hammer home the case," said Sharepoint VP of Marketing and Communications, Chris Schreiber.
According to the study, over 24 billion videos were streamed online in the U.S. in December, 2012, during which time consumers spent 360 billion minutes online.
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...