News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Video ads: Choice beats interruption
New research from Sharethrough and Nielsen hammers home the message that choice beats interruption when it comes to video advertising.
When Sharethrough and Nielsen compared pre-roll to native video ads, they found that native ads were far more effective at increasing brand lift.
Native ads (user-initiated video) were found to create 82% brand lift compared to pre-roll (auto-playing on user-selected content under 30 seconds in length) which created just 2.1% brand lift.
Those who were exposed to pre-roll ad units were 29.3% more likely to report they viewed the brand "unfavorably" or "very unfavorably" than those who had not been exposed to the campaign.
The research confirms what many already know - consumers prefer choice above being forced to watch an ad.
"While we've always considered it to be self-evident that choice beats interruption, sometimes you just need data to help hammer home the case," said Sharepoint VP of Marketing and Communications, Chris Schreiber.
According to the study, over 24 billion videos were streamed online in the U.S. in December, 2012, during which time consumers spent 360 billion minutes online.
- Ad viewability levels down across Europe
- Virtual Reality: Seeing, and trying, is believing and buying
- Expert: Retail's trends to watch
- Mobile Roundup: Platforms to simplify work, personal lives
- Report: Fraud attacks up 80%
- Marketers value startups for their passion, drive, and technological prowess
- How mobile is changing retail
- ECommerce Roundup: Platforms to simplify shopper interaction
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...