News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
US homes house over half a billion Internet-connected devices
The number of connected devices in U.S. households has grown to more than half a billion, according to new data from The NPD Group's Connected Home Report, with increases in tablet and smartphone penetration driving up the numbers.
The NPD Group's survey of more than 4,000 U.S. consumers age 18 and over found that the number of Internet-connected devices, defined as "computers, tablets, smartphones, HDTVs, Blu-ray Disc Players, video game consoles, and streaming media set top boxes" in U.S. homes has passed the 500 million milestone.
The number of Internet-connected devices has risen to 5.7 per home, up from 5.3 three months ago. In those three months the installed base of tablets rose by almost 18 million and smartphones to almost 9 million, according to the Connected Intelligence Connected Home Report.
"It's hard to believe that tablets and smartphones are still somewhat in their infancy," said John Buffone, director of devices for NPD Connected Intelligence. "But as we have seen in just the past few months, there is significant potential for this market to develop further."
According to The NPD Group's figures, despite the rise of mobile device ownership, pretty much every household (93%) has a PC, "a fact that won't be changing any time soon", says Buffone. "However, when you look at the combined number of smartphones and tablets consumers own, for the first time ever, it exceeded the installed base of computers."
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...