News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.S. consumers not driven to shop online by same-day delivery
Same-day delivery isn't an option that excites many online shoppers, according to new survey results released by The Boston Consulting Group, because it costs too much.
Of the 1,500 U.S. consumers questioned by The Boston Consulting Group, just 9% said that same-day delivery would influence them to shop more online. Despite this attitude, many retailers including Amazon and Wal-Mart are implementing this option.
However, consumers consider the option too expensive and few could identify an occasion when same-day delivery would be an attractive option - perhaps for last-minute gift purchases. When asked what they would pay, on average, to get a $50 online purchase delivered on the same day that value was just $7.50, way below the fees charged by most retailers already providing the service.
Instead, the survey results suggest that same-day delivery will remain a niche service, more popular among young urbanites with big salaries. The Boston Computing Group notes that while this demographic makes up only 2% of the market, they spend about twice as much online than the average U.S. consumer.
"Same-day delivery will be a niche service in the near future," said Rob Souza, a partner at BCG. "Retailers may choose to offer it to build customer loyalty, enhance brand awareness, or keep up with the competition. But it is unlikely to generate significant revenues for either retailers or carriers."
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...