News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
U.S. consumers not driven to shop online by same-day delivery
Same-day delivery isn't an option that excites many online shoppers, according to new survey results released by The Boston Consulting Group, because it costs too much.
Of the 1,500 U.S. consumers questioned by The Boston Consulting Group, just 9% said that same-day delivery would influence them to shop more online. Despite this attitude, many retailers including Amazon and Wal-Mart are implementing this option.
However, consumers consider the option too expensive and few could identify an occasion when same-day delivery would be an attractive option - perhaps for last-minute gift purchases. When asked what they would pay, on average, to get a $50 online purchase delivered on the same day that value was just $7.50, way below the fees charged by most retailers already providing the service.
Instead, the survey results suggest that same-day delivery will remain a niche service, more popular among young urbanites with big salaries. The Boston Computing Group notes that while this demographic makes up only 2% of the market, they spend about twice as much online than the average U.S. consumer.
"Same-day delivery will be a niche service in the near future," said Rob Souza, a partner at BCG. "Retailers may choose to offer it to build customer loyalty, enhance brand awareness, or keep up with the competition. But it is unlikely to generate significant revenues for either retailers or carriers."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...