News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK: Girls more likely to own, use smartphone than boys
When it comes to gadgets such as smartphones and games consoles, girls in the UK like to communicate while the boys prefer to be entertained. That's the take-out from new research conducted by Mintel.
Overall, Mintel's research among 7-15 year olds in the UK, found that 86% of the children surveyed had used a smartphone, although not all owned one. In terms of ownership, girls were more likely to own a smartphone than boys of the same age.
Furthermore, girls were more likely to use their smartphone every day (45%) compared to just 35% of boys.
The results are not too surprising considering girls are more likely to want to communicate, by text or social apps, perhaps even talking, than boys the same age. And, consequently, boys are more likely to want gadgets that entertain, such as game consoles and desktop computers.
"Where there is a difference, it's because boys tend to go for the big ticket items," Samuel Gee, a technology analyst at Mintel, told The Telegraph.
As well as smartphones, girls were also found to be more likely to own an MP3 player or laptop.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
- Online preferred shopping environment of affluent consumers
- Top 3 tips to improve webrooming abilities
- BlueKai rolls out 3rd party data options
- Reports: Social, Cloud offering assist to small businesses
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
Featured White Papers
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...