News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: YP.com outperforming local search
In the local space an old - and previously offline - option is taking center stage. One recent study found that YP.com, the online hub for Yellow Pages, is outperforming local search options, including Google Maps, when it comes to finding local businesses.
The study, conducted by crowd sourcing hub CrowdFlower, found that YP.com outperformed local search engines for named searches of specific businesses and 'remained competitive' with Google Maps during full search queries. Other interesting findings include:
• YP local searches show an 86% satisfaction rating, competing search engines show rates between 74% and 82%
• YP satisfaction ratings for Insurance queries were 100%
• YP satisfaction ratings for Restaurants were 98%
• YP satisfaction ratings for Credit Unions were 90%
"Most major search companies have their results manually reviewed by a team of people -- it's one of the best ways to measure the effects of constant updates to their search algorithms -- but a dedicated team can be difficult to scale," said Ari Klein, director of customer success for CrowdFlower. "CrowdFlower was, in fact, founded by search scientists solvingthat exact problem. By crowdsourcing the evaluation, we've been able to dramatically shorten YP's feedback loop and allowed them to perform more frequent and accurate competitive analysis. It's phenomenal to see that our innovative approach, coupled with their expertise, has helped YP maintain leadership in the local search space."
While the study shows the benefit of local business listings on the web, it also underlines a new trend - that consumers aren't 'surfing the web' as they did in the early days of the Internet. Rather, they are looking for specific products, businesses or shop locations, making the most of the time they spend online.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...