News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SMBs: US patent laws changing, are you ready?
This month patent laws in the US change, affecting many SMBs. The problem? A lot of SMBs are out of the loop because they don't understand the underlying facts of the change. Rocket Lawyer's experts are here to help.
The Leahy-Smith America Invents Act (AIA) was signed back in 2011 and this weekend, March 16, 2013 to be exact, the shifts required by the act begin. Chief among them 'first to invent' will be changed to 'first to file'. What does it mean?
"First, the inventor who files a later application is permitted to contest inventorship on a previously filed application only if it is shown that the subject matter disclosed in the previous application was derived from the inventor who files the later application. This occurs through a derivation proceeding, which replaces interference proceedings. Second, inventors still have a one-year grace period during which the inventor's own disclosures or disclosures of others who derived their invention from the inventor may not be used as prior art if they occurred within 12 months prior to the effective filing date of the invention," writes Rocket Lawyer.
According to a recent survey from Rocket Lawyer only 9% of SMB respondents are aware of the change. Other interesting findings include:
• 32% believe 'first to file' encourages innovation
• 36% would pay more if patents were issued faster
• 77% say they understand the difference between 'first to invent' and 'first to file'
• 80% believe patents can protect their businesses from competitors
- "Fat" ads slowing down publishers' websites
- IoT making impact on business but barriers remain
- CPG brands spending more on digital ads than traditional
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...