News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Women going into business on global basis
March is Women's History Month in the US, UK and Australia; the 2013 theme is Finding Founding Mothers and new data out from Alibaba shows women are still forging through the workplace - many creating workplaces of their own. Research shows that the number of female entrepreneurs is quickly creeping up on the number of male business owners.
Alibaba is a worldwide ecommerce platform for small businesses, helping SMBs reach across country borders to create a global client base. According to company data there are now 1.6 million US women registered on the platform; that is a 40% growth rate since 2011.
Annie Xu, general manager of Alibaba.com, Americas, said: "We are thrilled to see how Alibaba.com is empowering women to create their own destiny and success. Every day, we learn of new Alibaba.com female customers who are realizing their dreams and launching exciting businesses."
"Today, more women are not only holding high corporate positions, but are also becoming successful entrepreneurs who drive the global economy," said Laurie McCabe, partner of SMB Group. "With all the technology and e-commerce tools available today, there is no better time for women entrepreneurs to pursue their passion and start their own businesses."
Other interesting findings include:
• Men continue to make up 78% of the Alibaba marketplace, women make up 22%
• Female registration rates, or sign-ups to use Alibaba to sell products, out-paces men (15% vs 10%)
• 347,000 UK women are registered on the Alibaba platform
• 286,000 Australian women are registered on the platform
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...