News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Women going into business on global basis
March is Women's History Month in the US, UK and Australia; the 2013 theme is Finding Founding Mothers and new data out from Alibaba shows women are still forging through the workplace - many creating workplaces of their own. Research shows that the number of female entrepreneurs is quickly creeping up on the number of male business owners.
Alibaba is a worldwide ecommerce platform for small businesses, helping SMBs reach across country borders to create a global client base. According to company data there are now 1.6 million US women registered on the platform; that is a 40% growth rate since 2011.
Annie Xu, general manager of Alibaba.com, Americas, said: "We are thrilled to see how Alibaba.com is empowering women to create their own destiny and success. Every day, we learn of new Alibaba.com female customers who are realizing their dreams and launching exciting businesses."
"Today, more women are not only holding high corporate positions, but are also becoming successful entrepreneurs who drive the global economy," said Laurie McCabe, partner of SMB Group. "With all the technology and e-commerce tools available today, there is no better time for women entrepreneurs to pursue their passion and start their own businesses."
Other interesting findings include:
• Men continue to make up 78% of the Alibaba marketplace, women make up 22%
• Female registration rates, or sign-ups to use Alibaba to sell products, out-paces men (15% vs 10%)
• 347,000 UK women are registered on the Alibaba platform
• 286,000 Australian women are registered on the platform
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...