News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Women going into business on global basis
March is Women's History Month in the US, UK and Australia; the 2013 theme is Finding Founding Mothers and new data out from Alibaba shows women are still forging through the workplace - many creating workplaces of their own. Research shows that the number of female entrepreneurs is quickly creeping up on the number of male business owners.
Alibaba is a worldwide ecommerce platform for small businesses, helping SMBs reach across country borders to create a global client base. According to company data there are now 1.6 million US women registered on the platform; that is a 40% growth rate since 2011.
Annie Xu, general manager of Alibaba.com, Americas, said: "We are thrilled to see how Alibaba.com is empowering women to create their own destiny and success. Every day, we learn of new Alibaba.com female customers who are realizing their dreams and launching exciting businesses."
"Today, more women are not only holding high corporate positions, but are also becoming successful entrepreneurs who drive the global economy," said Laurie McCabe, partner of SMB Group. "With all the technology and e-commerce tools available today, there is no better time for women entrepreneurs to pursue their passion and start their own businesses."
Other interesting findings include:
• Men continue to make up 78% of the Alibaba marketplace, women make up 22%
• Female registration rates, or sign-ups to use Alibaba to sell products, out-paces men (15% vs 10%)
• 347,000 UK women are registered on the Alibaba platform
• 286,000 Australian women are registered on the platform
Image via Shutterstock
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
- Pinterest gives businesses a deeper peek into their Pinners
- Parents give retailers advice on making back-to-school shopping more bearable
- Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...