News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Pew Research: One-third Americans get news online
This isn't exactly ground-breaking news, but more Americans are getting their news in digital format. According to new data out from Pew Research 39% of respondents to a recent study checked online for news 'yesterday'; that is an increase of 5% points in two years.
The question from Pew Research included both online and mobile sites and with the addition of mobile, about half of US adults are looking online for their news headlines. That puts online outlets just below television news for consumption and nearly 20 percentage points ahead of either radio or printed newspapers.
As for how consumers are engaging with news content through devices, about one-third own a tablet and 45% own a smartphone and both devices are helping to increase news consumption according to the report.
"Fully 64% of tablet owners say they get news on their devices weekly and 37% report they do so daily," was written in the report. "The trend is nearly identical for smartphone owners - 62% get news on their device weekly and 36% do so daily."
"Last month, 32 percent of my traffic came from mobile," Raju Narisetti, then the head of The Wall Street Journal's Digital Network, said in a February presentation at the Digital Media Strategies conference in London. "A year ago it was 20 percent and a year from now it will be 50 percent."
Other interesting findings about mobile news consumers:
• 54% say they read news via tablet and smartphone
• 77% report 'also reading' news via laptop/desktop computer
• 50% read print newspapers
• 25% get their news both online and offline
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...