News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
iOS in-flight use takes off, Android still grounded
Having recently reported on the increasing use and demand for wi-fi access while in-flight, it was interesting to read a new report from Gogo on which device is the most-used by connected airline passengers.
Recent research by UK-based IFE Services found that 82% of airline passengers have their smartphones with them during flights, 38% take a laptop and 37% a tablet.
Consequently, in-flight wi-fi demand has also increased, with most passengers expecting the service to be standard within the next few years. According to IFE Services, 3,194 aircraft were fitted with in-flight wi-fi at the end of 2012 and, by the end of 2015, it is estimated that $1.5 billion will be spent by passengers on in-flight connectivity services.
New research from in-flight wi-fi provider Gogo reveals that one device is used far more than any other to connect using their service - Apple's iOS.
"If you look only at the smartphones our customers are using, the iPhone makes up 73% and all Android devices make up 26%, with Blackberry and Windows based devices each making up less than 1% of devices being used in air," says Gogo in a recent announcement.
Overall, iOS devices were found to account for 84% of all in-flight wi-fi traffic from mobile devices on Gogo's service. Fifty-nine percent of passengers connect using the iPad, 36% using the iPhone and 5% using the iPod touch.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...