News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Google: Half of mobile conversions happen within the hour
Research by Google and Nielsen provides mobile marketers with key insights into when and why people use mobile search and the actions taken as a result of this use.
In the new report, "Mobile Search Moments: Understanding How Mobile Drives Conversions", an interesting behavior of mobile search users has been discovered.
According to the analysis of more than 6,000 mobile searches, more than half (55%) of conversions resulting from that search, be it a store visit, a purchase or contacting a business, occurred within the hour.
"We see this immediacy effect with mobile because not only are people potentially closer in physical proximity to a purchase, but they're also closer to the crucial decision moments," writes Google Product Marketing Manager, Ben Chung, in a blog post.
This immediacy of action is likely the result of the driver of mobile search use - to help make a decision. The report revealed that 45% of mobile searches are conducted to help make a decision, rising to two-thirds when happening in a store. Furthermore, 73% of mobile searches trigger some sort of action including research (36%), website visit (25%), store visit (17%), purchase (17%) or a telephone call (7%).
"When people use mobile search to help make a decision, they're more likely to convert," says Chung. "So it's important for marketers to be present during those searches, while also creating ads and experiences that are relevant to this immediacy."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, targeting to give brands more insights
- Expert: Why surveys may not offer all advertisers' questions
- Expert: Look for native to continue strong growth
- U.S. in-store and mobile retail experience found wanting
- Brits more interested in smart home tech than wearable tech
- Is TripAdvisor a gateway app?
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to increase viewability, deflate fraud
- Expert: The most important social metrics for brands
Featured White Papers