News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
FTC warns advertisers against cutting corners on small screens
The Federal Trade Commission has made it clear that it is mandatory for all advertising appearing on social media sites, or designed for small screens, to be accompanied by disclosures that are as clear as possible.
The FTC has made revisions to its .Com Disclosures guidelines that "takes into account the expanding use of smartphones with small screens and the rise of social-media marketing".
The new rules emphasize the need for marketers to ensure consumer protection laws apply equally no matter the format or size of the marketing message.
The new rules serve as a warning to marketers who may need to review how their websites appear on mobile devices, particularly when it comes to disclosures.
"Sometimes there may be no way around it. But in many cases, the need for a disclosure is really a warning sign that the underlying ad claim may contain some element of deception," says the FTC's Lesley Fair.
In a nutshell, if an ad without a disclosure could be construed as deceptive or unfair, or otherwise violate a Commission rule, and if the disclosure cannot be made clearly and conspicuously on a device or platform, then that device or platform should not be used.
"Rather than focusing on fonts, hyperlinks, proximity, platforms, and the whole disclosures rigmarole," explains Fair, "how about stepping back and reformulating the ad claim to get rid of the need for a disclosure in the first place?"
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...