News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Core gamers spend 2X more on new physical games than digital
The majority of core gamers, defined as those who spend at least five hours a week playing traditional genres on Xbox 360, PS3, PC, or Mac, continue to purchase new physical titles, despite the availability of digital full games, according The NPD Group's "Core Gaming 2013" report.
Of the 6,322 core gamers surveyed, 88% said they had purchased a new physical game this year.
That's not to say that digital isn't getting a look-in, with 70% of core gamers having bought a digital full game this year, although it does come third to used physical games which 78% have purchased.
"Digital purchasing among core gamers has plenty of room to grow," said NPD analyst Liam Callahan. "While many core gamers indicate they are purchasing full games and digital add-on content frequently, there are those that stated they have never purchased digital content."
Core gamers currently spend about twice as much on new physical games as they do on digital full or used physical games.
According to The NPD Group, "When looking at a more recent time period (Q4 2012) and the amount of money spent over those three months, the majority of core gamers spent the most on new physical games ($129), followed by digital full games and physical used games, both at less than half of what was spent on new physical titles."
According to The NPD Group, 14% of people in the U.S. over the age of eight, or 37.5 million, falls into the core gamer category.
- uTest's Apphance shows 10 times more sessions
- New social network to connection non-corp types
- Elance: Remote hiring sees 60% jump
- Engajer integrates to LinkedIn
- JiWire: Mobile engaging travel consumers
- Drama, inane ramblings and parents turn teens off Facebook
- Survey: UK consumers re-think loyalty to brands
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...