News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
20% of email in Oz never reaches inbox
New insights into the performance of email in Australia and New Zealand have been released with Return Path's first ever Email Intelligence Report for the two countries. What's clear from the report is that Australians are opening more email from mobile devices and spam continues to prevent many messages from reaching inboxes.
After analyzing millions of email messages from their own internal data, email intelligence firm Return Path found that 1 in 5 emails never reach an inbox. Of that 20%, 18% were blocked or went missing and 2% were sent to spam.
"Mailbox providers have taken extreme measures to stop spam and phishing from reaching the inbox to protect their users, resulting in more and more marketing emails being delivered to the spam folder," said Theo Noel, Regional Director (AU/NZ), Return Path.
In New Zealand, Return Path found that no emails were sent to spam and just 8% went missing or were blocked, leaving a 92% delivery rate.
According to Return Path CEO, Matt Blumberg, marketers continue to face challenges ensuring email communications end up in the inbox. However, use of email intelligence, he says, is improving deliverability and ROI is rising.
"Traditionally many marketers focused on bounce rates to assess whether they were reaching subscribers, but those don't tell the whole story," Blumberg told Marketing Magazine Australia.
"Today new metrics such as inbox placement rate and read rate are providing better visibility into email marketing performance, and while they still have progress to make, marketers are using email intelligence - data, analysis, and insight - to understand deliverability and continually improve the subscriber experience."
As other research has found, people are opening more email on their mobile device, and Australians are no exception. In the two years to October, 2012, Return Path reports opens on mobile rose 300%. While opens on desktop remained fairly constant, webmail opens decreased slightly over the same period.
"In Australia, Apple controls a larger market share of smartphones and with Australians checking email daily on both desktops and mobile devices, marketers will have to design with both platforms in mind," says Noel.
- App Store hits 50 billion milestone, Google Play not far behind
- IBM: Mother's Day shopping goes mobile
- Service industry occupations not safe from technology
- How webrooming is taking over ecommerce
- Report: Strong digital presence key to success
- Report: SMBs falling behind in tech
- Mobile the boost loyalty programs need
- British Land: UK retail stores must adapt or die
Featured White Papers
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...
- The Essential Guide to Internet Marketing
Learn the latest tips and tricks to online marketing by downloading the latest edition of our most popular ebook! Whether...
- Smarter Service: The Contact Center of the Future
Today's consumers expect better service, better products, and better communication with retailers. Without a single view of the customer across...
- 9 Reasons Why Your Email Campaign Is Failing
When you analyze your email marketing program, what is your email data telling you? Measuring your data can be difficult,...
- Deliver Extraordinary Customer Experience
Competition is fierce in today's economy and customers know this. They can easily search the Internet to find companies that...