News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day surveys reveals what lovers are getting, and what they want
In its latest Valentine's Day spending survey, the National Retail Federation found that consumers will spend slightly more this year than last while a survey from Money Talk News found that spending time with loved ones outshines physical gifts.
On average, consumers will spend about $5 more this year ($137) with total spending reaching $18.6 billion, making this loved-up day one of the largest gift-giving holidays of the year.
What are people giving?
The NRF/BIGinsight survey found that traditional gifts will be the most popular. Over half (51%) will buy candy while 36.6% will present flowers and 15.6% will buy clothing. More than a quarter (26.3%) will make their purchase online, up from 19.3% last year, while 39.6% will shop at discount stores and 33.2% at department stores.
The survey also found that 40.7% of smartphone owners will use their device to shop for gifts, while 46.9% of tablet owners will use their devices to purchase items and research gifts.
What do people want to receive?
A survey by Money Talk News (1,503 participants) found that, of traditional gift options including candy, jewelry, flowers, gift certificates and a romantic date, it was the romantic date that was most popular, with candy the least popular.
Romantic Date - 32.3%
Gift Certificate - 24.2%
Flowers - 16.4%
Jewelry - 15.4%
Candy - 11.7%
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...