News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day surveys reveals what lovers are getting, and what they want
In its latest Valentine's Day spending survey, the National Retail Federation found that consumers will spend slightly more this year than last while a survey from Money Talk News found that spending time with loved ones outshines physical gifts.
On average, consumers will spend about $5 more this year ($137) with total spending reaching $18.6 billion, making this loved-up day one of the largest gift-giving holidays of the year.
What are people giving?
The NRF/BIGinsight survey found that traditional gifts will be the most popular. Over half (51%) will buy candy while 36.6% will present flowers and 15.6% will buy clothing. More than a quarter (26.3%) will make their purchase online, up from 19.3% last year, while 39.6% will shop at discount stores and 33.2% at department stores.
The survey also found that 40.7% of smartphone owners will use their device to shop for gifts, while 46.9% of tablet owners will use their devices to purchase items and research gifts.
What do people want to receive?
A survey by Money Talk News (1,503 participants) found that, of traditional gift options including candy, jewelry, flowers, gift certificates and a romantic date, it was the romantic date that was most popular, with candy the least popular.
Romantic Date - 32.3%
Gift Certificate - 24.2%
Flowers - 16.4%
Jewelry - 15.4%
Candy - 11.7%
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...