News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day surveys reveals what lovers are getting, and what they want
In its latest Valentine's Day spending survey, the National Retail Federation found that consumers will spend slightly more this year than last while a survey from Money Talk News found that spending time with loved ones outshines physical gifts.
On average, consumers will spend about $5 more this year ($137) with total spending reaching $18.6 billion, making this loved-up day one of the largest gift-giving holidays of the year.
What are people giving?
The NRF/BIGinsight survey found that traditional gifts will be the most popular. Over half (51%) will buy candy while 36.6% will present flowers and 15.6% will buy clothing. More than a quarter (26.3%) will make their purchase online, up from 19.3% last year, while 39.6% will shop at discount stores and 33.2% at department stores.
The survey also found that 40.7% of smartphone owners will use their device to shop for gifts, while 46.9% of tablet owners will use their devices to purchase items and research gifts.
What do people want to receive?
A survey by Money Talk News (1,503 participants) found that, of traditional gift options including candy, jewelry, flowers, gift certificates and a romantic date, it was the romantic date that was most popular, with candy the least popular.
Romantic Date - 32.3%
Gift Certificate - 24.2%
Flowers - 16.4%
Jewelry - 15.4%
Candy - 11.7%
- Six ways to increase the performance of your Pinterest Pins
- Personalization key to becoming a 'Best Friend Brand'
- Young mobile users annoyed by ads in apps
- Top 3 tips to harness dark social data
- Report: M:Commerce share up one-third
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
Featured White Papers
- How to Create a Mobile Device Storefront
It is estimated that 55% of Americans regularly shop online at an average of 15.6 online purchases per year. However,...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Here's why the savvy ones in the business are outsourcing their content right now (and why you should be, too)....