News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Valentine's Day surveys reveals what lovers are getting, and what they want
In its latest Valentine's Day spending survey, the National Retail Federation found that consumers will spend slightly more this year than last while a survey from Money Talk News found that spending time with loved ones outshines physical gifts.
On average, consumers will spend about $5 more this year ($137) with total spending reaching $18.6 billion, making this loved-up day one of the largest gift-giving holidays of the year.
What are people giving?
The NRF/BIGinsight survey found that traditional gifts will be the most popular. Over half (51%) will buy candy while 36.6% will present flowers and 15.6% will buy clothing. More than a quarter (26.3%) will make their purchase online, up from 19.3% last year, while 39.6% will shop at discount stores and 33.2% at department stores.
The survey also found that 40.7% of smartphone owners will use their device to shop for gifts, while 46.9% of tablet owners will use their devices to purchase items and research gifts.
What do people want to receive?
A survey by Money Talk News (1,503 participants) found that, of traditional gift options including candy, jewelry, flowers, gift certificates and a romantic date, it was the romantic date that was most popular, with candy the least popular.
Romantic Date - 32.3%
Gift Certificate - 24.2%
Flowers - 16.4%
Jewelry - 15.4%
Candy - 11.7%
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
- Top tips for a better 2016 IT strategy
- Click-and-collect drives additional in-store sales
- Oxford Dictionaries announces 'word of the year' and it is not a word
- Last-minute shopping on the rise during holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...