News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
TripAdvisor fights back against blackmail, negative reviews
Many business owners on TripAdvisor are seeing a worrying trend. Customers are threatening to write negative reviews unless they receive a refund, upgrade, freebies, or other request. TripAdvisor has launched a new feature as part of its management tools to help business owners who are being blackmailed.
The review site has introduced (.pdf) a way for those being threatened to report blackmail or threatening behavior before a negative review is submitted.
"We take allegations of blackmail or threatening behavior by guests against property owners very seriously," said TripAdvisor in its announcement of the new feature. "This activity is strictly against our guidelines and may also be illegal in many locations."
To submit a report of potential blackmail, TripAdvisor businesses must go to the management center and click on "Manage your Reviews" followed by "Dispute a Review".
TripAdvisor also asks that businesses retain as much information and documentation relating to the blackmailer's behavior during a stay, including voicemails and emails.
If a low-rated review in line with the business owner's report is submitted, the TripAdvisor support team is notified and a process to prove blackmail is begun. The process can only be undertaken for reviews that have not yet been submitted.
TripAdvisor is currently the world's largest travel community with more than 60 million monthly visitors, 32 million members, and over 75 million reviews and opinions.
- How Facebook, AdWords can work together
- Study: Tuesday/Thursday are best days for sharing
- Survey: Bitcoin making more waves
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...