News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: 51% do not want brands listening in on social
While the social space may be a great place to share brand information, products and deal information, brands need to walk a fine line in the social sphere. That, according to new data out from the JD Power Panel and Netbase. Their new survey reveals that more than half of social consumers don't want brands to respond to their chatter in the social space.
This, even if the conversation is about the brand. When do they want brands to chime in? According to the report only when their social conversations are of the complaint variety (58%).
"It's really important that marketers consider these findings when developing social media strategies," said Lisa Joy Rosner, CMO of NetBase. "The companies that take the time to understand what customers are saying, and engage in a way that considers context and builds relationships, are the ones that will benefit from social listening and engagement."
Other interesting findings from the report:
• 32% of consumers don't realize brands are listening to them via social media
• 43% believe brands 'listening in' intrudes on their privacy
• 48% believe brands should 'listen via social' to improve their products/services
• 64% only want companies to respond to social comments when the company is directly spoken to
Meanwhile, Altimeter Group reports that nearly half (42%) of companies plan to make 'social listening' a priority in 2013.
For those planning to listen in, be aware that not all consumers will want branded input - so listen to what consumers are saying and study the context in which they are speaking to develop a strong social strategy.
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....