News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: 51% do not want brands listening in on social
While the social space may be a great place to share brand information, products and deal information, brands need to walk a fine line in the social sphere. That, according to new data out from the JD Power Panel and Netbase. Their new survey reveals that more than half of social consumers don't want brands to respond to their chatter in the social space.
This, even if the conversation is about the brand. When do they want brands to chime in? According to the report only when their social conversations are of the complaint variety (58%).
"It's really important that marketers consider these findings when developing social media strategies," said Lisa Joy Rosner, CMO of NetBase. "The companies that take the time to understand what customers are saying, and engage in a way that considers context and builds relationships, are the ones that will benefit from social listening and engagement."
Other interesting findings from the report:
• 32% of consumers don't realize brands are listening to them via social media
• 43% believe brands 'listening in' intrudes on their privacy
• 48% believe brands should 'listen via social' to improve their products/services
• 64% only want companies to respond to social comments when the company is directly spoken to
Meanwhile, Altimeter Group reports that nearly half (42%) of companies plan to make 'social listening' a priority in 2013.
For those planning to listen in, be aware that not all consumers will want branded input - so listen to what consumers are saying and study the context in which they are speaking to develop a strong social strategy.
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...