News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: 51% do not want brands listening in on social
While the social space may be a great place to share brand information, products and deal information, brands need to walk a fine line in the social sphere. That, according to new data out from the JD Power Panel and Netbase. Their new survey reveals that more than half of social consumers don't want brands to respond to their chatter in the social space.
This, even if the conversation is about the brand. When do they want brands to chime in? According to the report only when their social conversations are of the complaint variety (58%).
"It's really important that marketers consider these findings when developing social media strategies," said Lisa Joy Rosner, CMO of NetBase. "The companies that take the time to understand what customers are saying, and engage in a way that considers context and builds relationships, are the ones that will benefit from social listening and engagement."
Other interesting findings from the report:
• 32% of consumers don't realize brands are listening to them via social media
• 43% believe brands 'listening in' intrudes on their privacy
• 48% believe brands should 'listen via social' to improve their products/services
• 64% only want companies to respond to social comments when the company is directly spoken to
Meanwhile, Altimeter Group reports that nearly half (42%) of companies plan to make 'social listening' a priority in 2013.
For those planning to listen in, be aware that not all consumers will want branded input - so listen to what consumers are saying and study the context in which they are speaking to develop a strong social strategy.
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...