News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: 51% do not want brands listening in on social
While the social space may be a great place to share brand information, products and deal information, brands need to walk a fine line in the social sphere. That, according to new data out from the JD Power Panel and Netbase. Their new survey reveals that more than half of social consumers don't want brands to respond to their chatter in the social space.
This, even if the conversation is about the brand. When do they want brands to chime in? According to the report only when their social conversations are of the complaint variety (58%).
"It's really important that marketers consider these findings when developing social media strategies," said Lisa Joy Rosner, CMO of NetBase. "The companies that take the time to understand what customers are saying, and engage in a way that considers context and builds relationships, are the ones that will benefit from social listening and engagement."
Other interesting findings from the report:
• 32% of consumers don't realize brands are listening to them via social media
• 43% believe brands 'listening in' intrudes on their privacy
• 48% believe brands should 'listen via social' to improve their products/services
• 64% only want companies to respond to social comments when the company is directly spoken to
Meanwhile, Altimeter Group reports that nearly half (42%) of companies plan to make 'social listening' a priority in 2013.
For those planning to listen in, be aware that not all consumers will want branded input - so listen to what consumers are saying and study the context in which they are speaking to develop a strong social strategy.
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...