News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: 51% do not want brands listening in on social
While the social space may be a great place to share brand information, products and deal information, brands need to walk a fine line in the social sphere. That, according to new data out from the JD Power Panel and Netbase. Their new survey reveals that more than half of social consumers don't want brands to respond to their chatter in the social space.
This, even if the conversation is about the brand. When do they want brands to chime in? According to the report only when their social conversations are of the complaint variety (58%).
"It's really important that marketers consider these findings when developing social media strategies," said Lisa Joy Rosner, CMO of NetBase. "The companies that take the time to understand what customers are saying, and engage in a way that considers context and builds relationships, are the ones that will benefit from social listening and engagement."
Other interesting findings from the report:
• 32% of consumers don't realize brands are listening to them via social media
• 43% believe brands 'listening in' intrudes on their privacy
• 48% believe brands should 'listen via social' to improve their products/services
• 64% only want companies to respond to social comments when the company is directly spoken to
Meanwhile, Altimeter Group reports that nearly half (42%) of companies plan to make 'social listening' a priority in 2013.
For those planning to listen in, be aware that not all consumers will want branded input - so listen to what consumers are saying and study the context in which they are speaking to develop a strong social strategy.
- Release makes push notifications actionable
- Early results show skipping ads improves engagement
- Top 3 tips to better personalize online campaigns
- Pinterest gives businesses a deeper peek into their Pinners
- Parents give retailers advice on making back-to-school shopping more bearable
- Study reveals impact of mobile use on Japanese students' grades
- Poll: SMB owners voting out incumbents
- How to improve worker productivity
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...