News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Solve Media: BOT usage on the up with fraudsters
New data out from Solve Media shows the use of BOTS continues to increase, with usage spiking around the globe during Q4 2012. According to the report the increase in shopping and advertising activities during the 2012 holiday shopping season led to the increase in usage.
"Through our proven security solutions, we are working to eradicate the bot scourge that is impacting all digital publishers and advertisers," said Ari Jacoby, CEO, Solve Media. "In Q4 we found that bots cost marketers at least $1 billion in display advertising and more than $2 billion in digital advertising investments - a considerable loss that impairs return on investment calculations. With Solve Media, brands are guaranteed memorable engagements with consumers and brand lift, on a performance-basis."
Some takeaways from the Solve Media report include:
• Suspicious activity spiked from 26% (Q3) to 40% (Q4)
• 25% of 'suspicious activity' resulted from BOTS
• Spammers-acting-like-BOTS activity is growing
• In the UAE, suspicious activity increased to 64% (Q4) and to 32% in the US (Q4)
"Solve Media is bridging the gap between the security and advertising communities, " said Chris Wysopal, CTO of Veracode and a member of Solve Media's Security Advisory Council. "Advertising to non-humans is simply ineffective and publishers who have taken a proactive stance against bot traffic are to be commended."
To help better understand what BOTS are doing, Solve Media has categorized them by color - Green BOTS are used for research, Yellow are used by spammers, Orange are sophisticated fraud bots and Red are harmful bots used to steal identities and spread viruses.
- Top tips to capitalize on social apps
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...