News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Solve Media: BOT usage on the up with fraudsters
New data out from Solve Media shows the use of BOTS continues to increase, with usage spiking around the globe during Q4 2012. According to the report the increase in shopping and advertising activities during the 2012 holiday shopping season led to the increase in usage.
"Through our proven security solutions, we are working to eradicate the bot scourge that is impacting all digital publishers and advertisers," said Ari Jacoby, CEO, Solve Media. "In Q4 we found that bots cost marketers at least $1 billion in display advertising and more than $2 billion in digital advertising investments - a considerable loss that impairs return on investment calculations. With Solve Media, brands are guaranteed memorable engagements with consumers and brand lift, on a performance-basis."
Some takeaways from the Solve Media report include:
• Suspicious activity spiked from 26% (Q3) to 40% (Q4)
• 25% of 'suspicious activity' resulted from BOTS
• Spammers-acting-like-BOTS activity is growing
• In the UAE, suspicious activity increased to 64% (Q4) and to 32% in the US (Q4)
"Solve Media is bridging the gap between the security and advertising communities, " said Chris Wysopal, CTO of Veracode and a member of Solve Media's Security Advisory Council. "Advertising to non-humans is simply ineffective and publishers who have taken a proactive stance against bot traffic are to be commended."
To help better understand what BOTS are doing, Solve Media has categorized them by color - Green BOTS are used for research, Yellow are used by spammers, Orange are sophisticated fraud bots and Red are harmful bots used to steal identities and spread viruses.
- Survey: Productivity software helping SMBs communicate
- How to use community Q&A to increase your reach
- How to use organic social posts to reach non-fans
- Keyword carelessness inhibiting UK travel brands' discoverability in App Store
- Android ahead of iOS in mobile ad traffic
- BrightRoll, Marketron announcements offer more measurement
- Study: SMBs turning to multi-channel to engage
- Young adults more likely to Facebook their dining experience than review it
Featured White Papers
- "Abandon Cart Emails" - Why We Don't Buy
For this paper, sponsored by Magento and Bronto Software, over 1,000 online shoppers were surveyed about their awareness of shopping...
- Learn 5 Ways the Cloud Will Enhance Your Professional Life in 2014
In 2013, we finally understood the cloud. Now we're ready to make the most of it. Online file sharing can...
- Users Hate to Wait: 8 Timely Tips for Speeding Up Your Website
Statistic after statistic shows that even a millisecond delay on your website can prevent you from converting customers, cost a...