News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SMBs perceive LinkedIn as most beneficial social media tool
A survey of small business CEOs by The Wall Street Journal and Vistage International found that LinkedIn is perceived as being the most beneficial social media tool.
The survey, by WSJ and senior executive peer advisory organization Vistage, is fielded online for a period of 10 days every month. Its objective is to gauge sentiment of U.S. CEOs and small-business owners from a broad range of industries to the economy and business practices.
In the January survey participants were asked which social media tools they currently use, as well as which one they believe is most beneficial to their business.
Not surprisingly, LinkedIn was the most-used in all industries bar retail. This makes sense; the majority of the industries covered in the survey are more B2B-oriented and more suited to LinkedIn's environment. Those in the retail industry, on the other hand, are more likely to use social networks such as Facebook and Google+.
When it comes to which social tool was perceived to be most beneficial to their business, CEOs again picked LinkedIn. And again, retail was the only industry to select Facebook and Google+.
Twitter didn't fare too well in the survey. Just 3.3% of the 835 survey participants felt the micro-blogging platform could help them further their business goals. Only Pinterest was considered less useful (1.78%).
"The findings illustrate the challenges facing Twitter in demonstrating to small-business owners the benefits of using the short-messaging service to reach customers," writes Emily Maltby of the WSJ. "Twitter says it is just beginning to court small businesses, which make up the bulk of U.S. companies, and are an important revenue source for many tech giants, including Google."
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
- Study: SMB's pushing the social media spend
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...