News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SMBs perceive LinkedIn as most beneficial social media tool
A survey of small business CEOs by The Wall Street Journal and Vistage International found that LinkedIn is perceived as being the most beneficial social media tool.
The survey, by WSJ and senior executive peer advisory organization Vistage, is fielded online for a period of 10 days every month. Its objective is to gauge sentiment of U.S. CEOs and small-business owners from a broad range of industries to the economy and business practices.
In the January survey participants were asked which social media tools they currently use, as well as which one they believe is most beneficial to their business.
Not surprisingly, LinkedIn was the most-used in all industries bar retail. This makes sense; the majority of the industries covered in the survey are more B2B-oriented and more suited to LinkedIn's environment. Those in the retail industry, on the other hand, are more likely to use social networks such as Facebook and Google+.
When it comes to which social tool was perceived to be most beneficial to their business, CEOs again picked LinkedIn. And again, retail was the only industry to select Facebook and Google+.
Twitter didn't fare too well in the survey. Just 3.3% of the 835 survey participants felt the micro-blogging platform could help them further their business goals. Only Pinterest was considered less useful (1.78%).
"The findings illustrate the challenges facing Twitter in demonstrating to small-business owners the benefits of using the short-messaging service to reach customers," writes Emily Maltby of the WSJ. "Twitter says it is just beginning to court small businesses, which make up the bulk of U.S. companies, and are an important revenue source for many tech giants, including Google."
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...