News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Online travel spend pushing $100 billion
Travel is a hot topic around the globe, especially in the online space. According to data from comScore American consumers are spending much more of their travel cash online while travel-minded consumers in Europe are spending a lot of time searching the travel sites.
For the first time, the US online travel spend has pushed past the $100 billion mark. According to new data out from comScore, 2012 online travel spending (US) hit $103 billion, a 9% increase over 2011 spending. Much of the online travel spend was accounted for in the air space; airline tickets are responsible for about 65% of the online travel spend.
The hottest online travel portals for US consumers include Expedia, Priceline and Orbitz; the three sites account for more than half the travel site traffic in 2012.
"Travel is a leading online commerce category, and despite being a pioneer in the sector 15 years ago it is still growing at nearly double-digit growth rates and remains very competitive," said John Mangano, VP of comScore Marketing Solutions for Retail and Travel. "With the online channel driving such a high percentage of dollars within the broader travel industry, understanding the competitive landscape is essential to determining the most effective sales and marketing strategies."
Meanwhile, in Europe, travel sites are gaining more attention as well. According to comScore European consumers spend more than 23 minutes on travel sites in November 2012; nearly half the European population (42%) visited a travel site. The leading travel-minded consumers are in the UK (40 minutes spent on-site), the Netherlands (33 minutes spent on-site) and France (28 minutes spent on-site).
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...