News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Online travel spend pushing $100 billion
Travel is a hot topic around the globe, especially in the online space. According to data from comScore American consumers are spending much more of their travel cash online while travel-minded consumers in Europe are spending a lot of time searching the travel sites.
For the first time, the US online travel spend has pushed past the $100 billion mark. According to new data out from comScore, 2012 online travel spending (US) hit $103 billion, a 9% increase over 2011 spending. Much of the online travel spend was accounted for in the air space; airline tickets are responsible for about 65% of the online travel spend.
The hottest online travel portals for US consumers include Expedia, Priceline and Orbitz; the three sites account for more than half the travel site traffic in 2012.
"Travel is a leading online commerce category, and despite being a pioneer in the sector 15 years ago it is still growing at nearly double-digit growth rates and remains very competitive," said John Mangano, VP of comScore Marketing Solutions for Retail and Travel. "With the online channel driving such a high percentage of dollars within the broader travel industry, understanding the competitive landscape is essential to determining the most effective sales and marketing strategies."
Meanwhile, in Europe, travel sites are gaining more attention as well. According to comScore European consumers spend more than 23 minutes on travel sites in November 2012; nearly half the European population (42%) visited a travel site. The leading travel-minded consumers are in the UK (40 minutes spent on-site), the Netherlands (33 minutes spent on-site) and France (28 minutes spent on-site).
- Reports show personalization impacts brand advertising
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...