News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Online travel spend pushing $100 billion
Travel is a hot topic around the globe, especially in the online space. According to data from comScore American consumers are spending much more of their travel cash online while travel-minded consumers in Europe are spending a lot of time searching the travel sites.
For the first time, the US online travel spend has pushed past the $100 billion mark. According to new data out from comScore, 2012 online travel spending (US) hit $103 billion, a 9% increase over 2011 spending. Much of the online travel spend was accounted for in the air space; airline tickets are responsible for about 65% of the online travel spend.
The hottest online travel portals for US consumers include Expedia, Priceline and Orbitz; the three sites account for more than half the travel site traffic in 2012.
"Travel is a leading online commerce category, and despite being a pioneer in the sector 15 years ago it is still growing at nearly double-digit growth rates and remains very competitive," said John Mangano, VP of comScore Marketing Solutions for Retail and Travel. "With the online channel driving such a high percentage of dollars within the broader travel industry, understanding the competitive landscape is essential to determining the most effective sales and marketing strategies."
Meanwhile, in Europe, travel sites are gaining more attention as well. According to comScore European consumers spend more than 23 minutes on travel sites in November 2012; nearly half the European population (42%) visited a travel site. The leading travel-minded consumers are in the UK (40 minutes spent on-site), the Netherlands (33 minutes spent on-site) and France (28 minutes spent on-site).
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....