News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study identifies retailers most at risk from showrooming
New research from Placed.com, into the effects of showrooming on retailers, identifies those businesses that are most at risk of losing business to Amazon.
According to Placed.com founder and CEO, David Shim, significantly more retailers are at risk of losing sales to Amazon via showrooming than previously thought.
"All the attention to date has been on Target and Best Buy as the early victims of showrooming, but significantly more retailers are at risk," says Shim in a recent announcement of the new research, 'Placed: Aisle to Amazon Study'. "Retailers need to know that it's not a question of if or when showrooming will impact their business, as an aisle to Amazon is already in their store."
The results confirm that both Best Buy and Target are among the top retailers at risk from showrooming, however other retailers faced a stronger threat.
According to Placed.com's research, showroomers were 20% more likely to trawl the aisles of Best Buy and 15% more likely than average to visit Target. However, Bed Bath & Beyond were more at risk with 27% of showroomers more likely to visit the retailer. In fact, Best Buy came fourth in Placed.com's index, behind Bed Bath & Beyond, PetSmart (25%), and Toys'R'Us (21%). Target (15%) was in eighth place behind Sears (19%), Barnes and Noble (18%) and Kohl's (17%).
"Amazon was the clear winner in e-commerce 1.0, and unless brick-and-mortar retailers shift from reactive to proactive, Amazon will win e-commerce 2.0 on the backs of offline retailers," warned Shim.
The full report, which was based 14,925 U.S. survey respondents combined with the direct measurement of nearly 1 billion U.S. location data points during January 2013, is available online.
- PPA: Digital magazines boost demand for print editions
- Tapjoy: Ad engagements preferred by mobiles
- European silver surfers' media consumption moving online
- Social sharing call-to-action in digital ads drives consumer interaction
- Google Play in-app sales rise 700% YoY
- comScore: Desktop spending up 13% YoY
- Report: More ad dollars to focus on branded content
- Ads on YouTube grow but TV ads considered more effective
Featured White Papers
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...