News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Negative attitudes to data use breeding tomorrow's invisible consumers
More than two-thirds of Internet users across several countries would choose a "do not track" feature if it was readily available, according to new research from technology analysis firm Ovum.
Consumers would much prefer to be 'invisible' and untraceable, found the survey of digital consumers across 11 countries in Europe, Asia, North America, and South and Central America.
Sixty-eight percent of respondents said a resounding "no" to Internet tracking and are increasingly motivated to find ways in which to cease sharing their data. The knock-on effect would be felt by digital industries including targeted advertising and data analysis.
"Unfortunately, in the gold rush that is big data, taking the supply of 'little data' - personal data - for granted seems to be an accident waiting to happen," said Mark Little, principal analyst at Ovum. "However, consumers are being empowered with new tools and services to monitor, control, and secure their personal data as never before, and it seems they increasingly have the motivation to use them."
A new set of messages are needed to change consumers' attitudes, says Little. However, that could be an uphill struggle as just 14% believe that online companies are honest about their use of personal data.
"Most importantly, data controllers need a better feel for the approaching disruption to their supply lines, and must invest in tools that help them understand the profile of today's negatively-minded users - tomorrow's invisible consumers," said Little.
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
- Ad Roundup: Analysis basis for releases, expansions
- Half of UK charities have no digital strategy
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...