News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Negative attitudes to data use breeding tomorrow's invisible consumers
More than two-thirds of Internet users across several countries would choose a "do not track" feature if it was readily available, according to new research from technology analysis firm Ovum.
Consumers would much prefer to be 'invisible' and untraceable, found the survey of digital consumers across 11 countries in Europe, Asia, North America, and South and Central America.
Sixty-eight percent of respondents said a resounding "no" to Internet tracking and are increasingly motivated to find ways in which to cease sharing their data. The knock-on effect would be felt by digital industries including targeted advertising and data analysis.
"Unfortunately, in the gold rush that is big data, taking the supply of 'little data' - personal data - for granted seems to be an accident waiting to happen," said Mark Little, principal analyst at Ovum. "However, consumers are being empowered with new tools and services to monitor, control, and secure their personal data as never before, and it seems they increasingly have the motivation to use them."
A new set of messages are needed to change consumers' attitudes, says Little. However, that could be an uphill struggle as just 14% believe that online companies are honest about their use of personal data.
"Most importantly, data controllers need a better feel for the approaching disruption to their supply lines, and must invest in tools that help them understand the profile of today's negatively-minded users - tomorrow's invisible consumers," said Little.
- Report: In mobile, color matters
- Vungle releases ad tool, integrates with Adap.TV
- Multifactor authentication added to RoboForm
- Research reveals which website image format results in happier visitors
- Location accuracy analysis reveals improvement for mobile ad campaigns
- Research reveals Millennials' attitudes toward brands
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...