News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile video views rose 30% between Q3 and Q4 2012
In their latest annual Video Monetization Report, FreeWheel reveals the significant rise in online videos watched via a mobile device.
According to FreeWheel, 12% of all online videos viewed during the fourth quarter of 2012 were watched on a smartphone or tablet. That's a significant rise from just 2% in the final quarter of 2011.
Apple devices continue to dominate mobile video viewing with a 60% share compared to Android's 31%. Between the two operating systems, 1.8 billion video views were registered in the fourth quarter of last year, a 30% rise on the previous quarter.
Apple shows increased domination following the launch of the iPhone 5. Android clearly has a way to go, despite the launch of devices such as the Nexus, before engagement levels reach that of Apple.
The iPad accounted for 24% of the overall iOS viewing, with the iPhone accounting 30% and iPod touch the remaining 6%. Android traffic was not broken down between smartphone and tablet devices and instead, FreeWheel noted that Android tablet traffic was minimal.
"Android has seen major increases in 2012, [but] the operating system is likely hindered by lack of a breakout tablet product," says FreeWheel.
Earlier this year, data released by Cisco revealed video streaming and communications apps, such as YouTube and Netflix, exceeded half (51%) of data consumption on tablets and 45% on smartphones for the first time.
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...