News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile video views rose 30% between Q3 and Q4 2012
In their latest annual Video Monetization Report, FreeWheel reveals the significant rise in online videos watched via a mobile device.
According to FreeWheel, 12% of all online videos viewed during the fourth quarter of 2012 were watched on a smartphone or tablet. That's a significant rise from just 2% in the final quarter of 2011.
Apple devices continue to dominate mobile video viewing with a 60% share compared to Android's 31%. Between the two operating systems, 1.8 billion video views were registered in the fourth quarter of last year, a 30% rise on the previous quarter.
Apple shows increased domination following the launch of the iPhone 5. Android clearly has a way to go, despite the launch of devices such as the Nexus, before engagement levels reach that of Apple.
The iPad accounted for 24% of the overall iOS viewing, with the iPhone accounting 30% and iPod touch the remaining 6%. Android traffic was not broken down between smartphone and tablet devices and instead, FreeWheel noted that Android tablet traffic was minimal.
"Android has seen major increases in 2012, [but] the operating system is likely hindered by lack of a breakout tablet product," says FreeWheel.
Earlier this year, data released by Cisco revealed video streaming and communications apps, such as YouTube and Netflix, exceeded half (51%) of data consumption on tablets and 45% on smartphones for the first time.
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...