News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile video views rose 30% between Q3 and Q4 2012
In their latest annual Video Monetization Report, FreeWheel reveals the significant rise in online videos watched via a mobile device.
According to FreeWheel, 12% of all online videos viewed during the fourth quarter of 2012 were watched on a smartphone or tablet. That's a significant rise from just 2% in the final quarter of 2011.
Apple devices continue to dominate mobile video viewing with a 60% share compared to Android's 31%. Between the two operating systems, 1.8 billion video views were registered in the fourth quarter of last year, a 30% rise on the previous quarter.
Apple shows increased domination following the launch of the iPhone 5. Android clearly has a way to go, despite the launch of devices such as the Nexus, before engagement levels reach that of Apple.
The iPad accounted for 24% of the overall iOS viewing, with the iPhone accounting 30% and iPod touch the remaining 6%. Android traffic was not broken down between smartphone and tablet devices and instead, FreeWheel noted that Android tablet traffic was minimal.
"Android has seen major increases in 2012, [but] the operating system is likely hindered by lack of a breakout tablet product," says FreeWheel.
Earlier this year, data released by Cisco revealed video streaming and communications apps, such as YouTube and Netflix, exceeded half (51%) of data consumption on tablets and 45% on smartphones for the first time.
- Shoppers using mobile for BTS shopping
- Study: Most consumers satisfied with e-gift card buys
- Mobile's role in back to school shopping on the rise
- Report reveals tablet preferences and ownership differences between UK, US, and Oz
- Top 3 tips to improve SMS strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Platforms to simplify connection
- Reports: Price to factor in most Back to School purchases
- Survey: SMB owners still deciding their vote
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...