News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile video views rose 30% between Q3 and Q4 2012
In their latest annual Video Monetization Report, FreeWheel reveals the significant rise in online videos watched via a mobile device.
According to FreeWheel, 12% of all online videos viewed during the fourth quarter of 2012 were watched on a smartphone or tablet. That's a significant rise from just 2% in the final quarter of 2011.
Apple devices continue to dominate mobile video viewing with a 60% share compared to Android's 31%. Between the two operating systems, 1.8 billion video views were registered in the fourth quarter of last year, a 30% rise on the previous quarter.
Apple shows increased domination following the launch of the iPhone 5. Android clearly has a way to go, despite the launch of devices such as the Nexus, before engagement levels reach that of Apple.
The iPad accounted for 24% of the overall iOS viewing, with the iPhone accounting 30% and iPod touch the remaining 6%. Android traffic was not broken down between smartphone and tablet devices and instead, FreeWheel noted that Android tablet traffic was minimal.
"Android has seen major increases in 2012, [but] the operating system is likely hindered by lack of a breakout tablet product," says FreeWheel.
Earlier this year, data released by Cisco revealed video streaming and communications apps, such as YouTube and Netflix, exceeded half (51%) of data consumption on tablets and 45% on smartphones for the first time.
- Videos best for Facebook reach, but don't ditch the photos
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
- Study: Nearly one-third say they 'don't do enough' to internationalize their business
- Millennials say the right content drives brand loyalty
- Consumers not impressed by engagement of branded apps
- Online shoppers excited about possibility of drone deliveries
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
Featured White Papers
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...