News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile video views rose 30% between Q3 and Q4 2012
In their latest annual Video Monetization Report, FreeWheel reveals the significant rise in online videos watched via a mobile device.
According to FreeWheel, 12% of all online videos viewed during the fourth quarter of 2012 were watched on a smartphone or tablet. That's a significant rise from just 2% in the final quarter of 2011.
Apple devices continue to dominate mobile video viewing with a 60% share compared to Android's 31%. Between the two operating systems, 1.8 billion video views were registered in the fourth quarter of last year, a 30% rise on the previous quarter.
Apple shows increased domination following the launch of the iPhone 5. Android clearly has a way to go, despite the launch of devices such as the Nexus, before engagement levels reach that of Apple.
The iPad accounted for 24% of the overall iOS viewing, with the iPhone accounting 30% and iPod touch the remaining 6%. Android traffic was not broken down between smartphone and tablet devices and instead, FreeWheel noted that Android tablet traffic was minimal.
"Android has seen major increases in 2012, [but] the operating system is likely hindered by lack of a breakout tablet product," says FreeWheel.
Earlier this year, data released by Cisco revealed video streaming and communications apps, such as YouTube and Netflix, exceeded half (51%) of data consumption on tablets and 45% on smartphones for the first time.
- Brands: How Chat-As-A-Service can work for you
- Survey: Computers are the connection of choice for sports fans
- Expert: The link between returns and cart abandons
- Mobile Roundup: App releases focus on connection, analysis
- Amazon's latest delivery location - the trunk of your car
- How mobile will change in 2015
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to deepen brands' reach
- Survey IDs SEO platforms most brand friendly
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...