News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile plays starring role in Australian online industry growth
The online industry in Australia continues to beat market forecasts of lower growth rates. The latest figures from PricewaterhouseCoopers and IAB Australia show just how much growth in the last year has been driven by mobile and digital.
Total online ad spend in Australia reached $3.3 billion in 2012, exceeding the $3.04 billion forecast put forward by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
The star of the year was mobile advertising, growing 220% to $86.2 million during the 12 months to December, 2012, although this rate of growth is expected to level out.
"While mobile is currently experiencing a surge, we expect it will settle onto strong and sustained growth rates, just as general online advertising expenditure did in 2000 after an extraordinary period of growth," said IAB director of research Gai Le Roy.
Mobile advertising, a subset of general display and search expenditure, achieved growth rates "reminiscent of the early days of online advertising". Total expenditure for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $33.8 million, a growth of 55% over Q3.
According to the PricewaterhouseCoopers/IAB figures, 58% of mobile advertising for Q4 2012 was allocated to smartphones and 42% to tablets. Over half (56%) of mobile advertising was general display while 44% was search.
In other research, this time from Marin Software, Australia was found to be leading the way globally in terms of ad clicks from mobile devices.
The "Mobile Search Advertising Around the Globe" report, released earlier this month, found that Australian marketers allocate the highest percentage of budget (8%) on tablet advertising than any other country. Australia also has the second highest allocation of budget to smartphones (8.8%), second only to Singapore (12.3%) and level with Japan (8.8%).
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...