News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile plays starring role in Australian online industry growth
The online industry in Australia continues to beat market forecasts of lower growth rates. The latest figures from PricewaterhouseCoopers and IAB Australia show just how much growth in the last year has been driven by mobile and digital.
Total online ad spend in Australia reached $3.3 billion in 2012, exceeding the $3.04 billion forecast put forward by PricewaterhouseCoopers.
The star of the year was mobile advertising, growing 220% to $86.2 million during the 12 months to December, 2012, although this rate of growth is expected to level out.
"While mobile is currently experiencing a surge, we expect it will settle onto strong and sustained growth rates, just as general online advertising expenditure did in 2000 after an extraordinary period of growth," said IAB director of research Gai Le Roy.
Mobile advertising, a subset of general display and search expenditure, achieved growth rates "reminiscent of the early days of online advertising". Total expenditure for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $33.8 million, a growth of 55% over Q3.
According to the PricewaterhouseCoopers/IAB figures, 58% of mobile advertising for Q4 2012 was allocated to smartphones and 42% to tablets. Over half (56%) of mobile advertising was general display while 44% was search.
In other research, this time from Marin Software, Australia was found to be leading the way globally in terms of ad clicks from mobile devices.
The "Mobile Search Advertising Around the Globe" report, released earlier this month, found that Australian marketers allocate the highest percentage of budget (8%) on tablet advertising than any other country. Australia also has the second highest allocation of budget to smartphones (8.8%), second only to Singapore (12.3%) and level with Japan (8.8%).
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...