News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Half of small businesses never update their online search, directory listings
In a poll of more than 350 small businesses, ConstantContact's SinglePlatform division found that nearly half have never updated their online listings, making it hard for customers to find them and providing inaccurate information.
Most small businesses (85%) know the importance of being found on major search engines, apps and directory sites. Over three-quarters (78%) believe it is through these channels that they gain new customers.
However, despite knowing the importance of providing consumers with their business information, SinglePlatform's poll also reveals that 49% have never updated their online or mobile listings. Just as worrying is that half of businesses have seen business listings that are inaccurate.
"Consumers are using the internet as a discovery engine and the opportunity for a local business to be found by their next great customer continues to grow," said Wiley Cerilli, vice president and general manager of SinglePlatform. "It is important for small businesses to list their products, services, and menus across the sites that consumers use to make their purchasing decisions."
So why aren't businesses keeping their online information up to date? For 70% it's a case of not having the time to manage and maintain their listings.
"We know that small businesses are both time- and resource-starved, limiting their ability to update listings on every major site and app," said Cerilli.
That's where services such as SinglePlatform and UBL come in. They enable businesses to update listings from one place, ensuring that the information consumers discover online, and via mobile, is the most up to date.
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...