News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ForeSee: Showrooming as much of an opportunity as a threat
The new ForeSee Mobile Satisfaction Survey: Holiday Edition reveals that showrooming is as much of an opportunity for retailers as a threat with most consumers who use their phone in-store using it to access that store's site.
Of the 6,200 or so consumers surveyed by ForeSee, 70% said they use their mobile device while in a store. However, almost two-thirds (62%) of those using their mobile device in a store were visiting that store's site.
Furthermore, 1 in 5 was using that store's app.
So, while showrooming does exist, it isn't necessarily as much of a threat as retailers perceive it to be. However, the competitive threat of showrooming does exist, as 37% reported accessing a competitor's site or app while in a store.
"Customers are using their mobile phones as integrated parts of their shopping experience," said Eric Feinberg, senior director mobile at ForeSee.
"Mobile is the ultimate companion channel, making showrooming as much of an opportunity as it is a threat. Retailers need to engage their customers equally well through all channels, especially through mobile sites and apps, or risk losing customers and sales to competitors that do a better job of meeting their needs."
ForeSee's survey also found that, as technology and adoption by marketers enhances the experience, consumer satisfaction with the mobile retail experience has improved. According to the satisfaction rankings, Amazon is the company with which most mobile users are most satisfied followed by Apple and QVC in second place and Victoria's Secret and NewEgg in third.
- The differences between American, European ads and why they matter
- Study: Online video pushing hungry people to burger chains
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...