News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Fake reviews will be removed, warns Google
In light of recent spam detection algorithm changes, Google expects the number of reviews being shown on some local Google+ pages to increase. To this end, the search giant warns businesses that fake reviews will immediately be taken down.
Now, more than ever, Google can distinguish between a real and a fake review. The search company is warning businesses, and SEO professionals, that if they try to promote a business with "fake glowing testimonies" they will be immediately taken down.
There are reputation and SEO management companies that will organize the writing and placement of fake reviews, but Google's recent spam detection algorithm changes will make getting the fakes in front of Internet users a bit more difficult.
By the same token, Google won't take down negative reviews "for simply being negative". Instead, they advise businesses to respond to such reviews and actively address customer concerns. And, because Google doesn't work with any third-party reputation management companies, any company that claims to be able to remove reviews from Google should not be believed.
For businesses that collect customer feedback on paper comment cards Google advises that they aren't used. Instead, they ask that all reviews come from first hand experience and that they "do not allow posting reviews on behalf of others." Instead, directing customers to an online source for them to leave their comments would ensure those reviews can be displayed.
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
- Top 3 tips for a more earth friendly marketing campaign
- Local Brands: Why SEO needs an upgrade
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...