News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Fake reviews will be removed, warns Google
In light of recent spam detection algorithm changes, Google expects the number of reviews being shown on some local Google+ pages to increase. To this end, the search giant warns businesses that fake reviews will immediately be taken down.
Now, more than ever, Google can distinguish between a real and a fake review. The search company is warning businesses, and SEO professionals, that if they try to promote a business with "fake glowing testimonies" they will be immediately taken down.
There are reputation and SEO management companies that will organize the writing and placement of fake reviews, but Google's recent spam detection algorithm changes will make getting the fakes in front of Internet users a bit more difficult.
By the same token, Google won't take down negative reviews "for simply being negative". Instead, they advise businesses to respond to such reviews and actively address customer concerns. And, because Google doesn't work with any third-party reputation management companies, any company that claims to be able to remove reviews from Google should not be believed.
For businesses that collect customer feedback on paper comment cards Google advises that they aren't used. Instead, they ask that all reviews come from first hand experience and that they "do not allow posting reviews on behalf of others." Instead, directing customers to an online source for them to leave their comments would ensure those reviews can be displayed.
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...