News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Fake reviews will be removed, warns Google
In light of recent spam detection algorithm changes, Google expects the number of reviews being shown on some local Google+ pages to increase. To this end, the search giant warns businesses that fake reviews will immediately be taken down.
Now, more than ever, Google can distinguish between a real and a fake review. The search company is warning businesses, and SEO professionals, that if they try to promote a business with "fake glowing testimonies" they will be immediately taken down.
There are reputation and SEO management companies that will organize the writing and placement of fake reviews, but Google's recent spam detection algorithm changes will make getting the fakes in front of Internet users a bit more difficult.
By the same token, Google won't take down negative reviews "for simply being negative". Instead, they advise businesses to respond to such reviews and actively address customer concerns. And, because Google doesn't work with any third-party reputation management companies, any company that claims to be able to remove reviews from Google should not be believed.
For businesses that collect customer feedback on paper comment cards Google advises that they aren't used. Instead, they ask that all reviews come from first hand experience and that they "do not allow posting reviews on behalf of others." Instead, directing customers to an online source for them to leave their comments would ensure those reviews can be displayed.
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...