News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches gift card that can't be used on Facebook
The latest 'new thing' on Facebook isn't really very new at all. In fact, it's a rehash of the everyday gift card but with a slightly more convoluted loading and redemption process.
When I read about Facebook's new gift card today I had only one burning question... why?
First of all, the Facebook Card isn't really a Facebook gift card. While it is purchased from within Facebook's Gift Store, it can't be used there. Much like existing pre-paid Visa cards, the Facebook Card can be used across a variety of stores - except that variety is currently severely limited to just four retailers (Jamba Juice, Target, Sephora and Olive Garden).
Furthermore, the person who purchases the card must allocate spend amounts to each retailer, taking away the choice of where to spend the gift from the recipient. A card can hold multiple gift balances, each dedicated to a specific retailer.
"Facebook is getting into a very saturated space with a limited offering at this point," Wedbush Securities analyst Gil Luria told the LA Times.
Once a Facebook Card is purchased the recipient is notified immediately and, a few days later, receives a regular plastic card in the mail. Facebook-branded and personalized, the card is reusable. The next time a Facebook Card value is gifted, the value is simply added to an existing card.
Gift Card balances can be checked from within most Facebook apps.
Facebook's announcement suggests the card feature will gradually be rolled-out across the U.S. over the next few days, but no specific launch regions were mentioned.
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- How dark social can impact brand
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...