News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches gift card that can't be used on Facebook
The latest 'new thing' on Facebook isn't really very new at all. In fact, it's a rehash of the everyday gift card but with a slightly more convoluted loading and redemption process.
When I read about Facebook's new gift card today I had only one burning question... why?
First of all, the Facebook Card isn't really a Facebook gift card. While it is purchased from within Facebook's Gift Store, it can't be used there. Much like existing pre-paid Visa cards, the Facebook Card can be used across a variety of stores - except that variety is currently severely limited to just four retailers (Jamba Juice, Target, Sephora and Olive Garden).
Furthermore, the person who purchases the card must allocate spend amounts to each retailer, taking away the choice of where to spend the gift from the recipient. A card can hold multiple gift balances, each dedicated to a specific retailer.
"Facebook is getting into a very saturated space with a limited offering at this point," Wedbush Securities analyst Gil Luria told the LA Times.
Once a Facebook Card is purchased the recipient is notified immediately and, a few days later, receives a regular plastic card in the mail. Facebook-branded and personalized, the card is reusable. The next time a Facebook Card value is gifted, the value is simply added to an existing card.
Gift Card balances can be checked from within most Facebook apps.
Facebook's announcement suggests the card feature will gradually be rolled-out across the U.S. over the next few days, but no specific launch regions were mentioned.
- Study: Mobile video a compliment to TV
- Mobile sites leaving customers hungry
- Survey: Most create videos as keepsakes
- Ad RoundUp: Ecommerce deployments key in on data
- Online and mobile shopping experience still failing to meet consumer expectations
- Which products have the highest online browse-to-buy correlation?
- Millennials: Speed and high-quality images the difference between bounce or buy on mobile
- Smartphone shopping up but revenue remains low
Featured White Papers
- 7 ways the mobile consumer changes everything infographic
Download the infographic "7 Ways the Mobile Consumer Changes Everything" to learn how to optimize your web content for mobile,...
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...