News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches gift card that can't be used on Facebook
The latest 'new thing' on Facebook isn't really very new at all. In fact, it's a rehash of the everyday gift card but with a slightly more convoluted loading and redemption process.
When I read about Facebook's new gift card today I had only one burning question... why?
First of all, the Facebook Card isn't really a Facebook gift card. While it is purchased from within Facebook's Gift Store, it can't be used there. Much like existing pre-paid Visa cards, the Facebook Card can be used across a variety of stores - except that variety is currently severely limited to just four retailers (Jamba Juice, Target, Sephora and Olive Garden).
Furthermore, the person who purchases the card must allocate spend amounts to each retailer, taking away the choice of where to spend the gift from the recipient. A card can hold multiple gift balances, each dedicated to a specific retailer.
"Facebook is getting into a very saturated space with a limited offering at this point," Wedbush Securities analyst Gil Luria told the LA Times.
Once a Facebook Card is purchased the recipient is notified immediately and, a few days later, receives a regular plastic card in the mail. Facebook-branded and personalized, the card is reusable. The next time a Facebook Card value is gifted, the value is simply added to an existing card.
Gift Card balances can be checked from within most Facebook apps.
Facebook's announcement suggests the card feature will gradually be rolled-out across the U.S. over the next few days, but no specific launch regions were mentioned.
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
- How to reduce the bounce
- Poor in-store service pushes festive shoppers online
- Why brands need more than CPM based metrics
Featured White Papers
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...