News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook launches gift card that can't be used on Facebook
The latest 'new thing' on Facebook isn't really very new at all. In fact, it's a rehash of the everyday gift card but with a slightly more convoluted loading and redemption process.
When I read about Facebook's new gift card today I had only one burning question... why?
First of all, the Facebook Card isn't really a Facebook gift card. While it is purchased from within Facebook's Gift Store, it can't be used there. Much like existing pre-paid Visa cards, the Facebook Card can be used across a variety of stores - except that variety is currently severely limited to just four retailers (Jamba Juice, Target, Sephora and Olive Garden).
Furthermore, the person who purchases the card must allocate spend amounts to each retailer, taking away the choice of where to spend the gift from the recipient. A card can hold multiple gift balances, each dedicated to a specific retailer.
"Facebook is getting into a very saturated space with a limited offering at this point," Wedbush Securities analyst Gil Luria told the LA Times.
Once a Facebook Card is purchased the recipient is notified immediately and, a few days later, receives a regular plastic card in the mail. Facebook-branded and personalized, the card is reusable. The next time a Facebook Card value is gifted, the value is simply added to an existing card.
Gift Card balances can be checked from within most Facebook apps.
Facebook's announcement suggests the card feature will gradually be rolled-out across the U.S. over the next few days, but no specific launch regions were mentioned.
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...