News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Distimo: App Store tough environment for new developers
App developers all want in to the App Store but, as new data from Distimo reveals, newcomers are finding it increasingly difficult to get their foot in the door.
Very few mobile apps in the App Store are from new developers and publishers, found app analytics firm Distimo. In fact, the majority of the top apps are released by existing, established publishers. Just 2% are new.
In what is a very crowded marketplace, with hundreds of thousands of apps, newcomers represent an "even smaller part of the revenue". Just 0.25% of revenue generated by the App Store goes to new apps.
Newcomers to Google Play published more titles than new players in the App Store, 6 versus 2 respectively. In its blog post, Distimo noted that "a plausible explanation is the review policy of Apple App Store makes it harder for new publishers to release applications".
"Generating $1 million in revenue has been a tougher task," says Distimo, "with "only a few" titles reaching this milestone in the first one month of availability. The fastest new revenue-generating apps, Angry Birds Star Wars, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Temple Run 2, all come from an existing franchise."
- Study: Safety key to wearables future
- Study: Half of shoppers look for 'https' or other security symbols online
- Cash, and wallets, soon to be things of the past?
- Expert: How Siri, Echo are changing content needs
- Costumes are big business again this Halloween
- Mobile to play increasing role in holiday season shopping
- Nielsen research reveals countries least likely to embrace mobile-only banking
- Mobile use in restaurants - tolerable or taboo?
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....