News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Distimo: App Store tough environment for new developers
App developers all want in to the App Store but, as new data from Distimo reveals, newcomers are finding it increasingly difficult to get their foot in the door.
Very few mobile apps in the App Store are from new developers and publishers, found app analytics firm Distimo. In fact, the majority of the top apps are released by existing, established publishers. Just 2% are new.
In what is a very crowded marketplace, with hundreds of thousands of apps, newcomers represent an "even smaller part of the revenue". Just 0.25% of revenue generated by the App Store goes to new apps.
Newcomers to Google Play published more titles than new players in the App Store, 6 versus 2 respectively. In its blog post, Distimo noted that "a plausible explanation is the review policy of Apple App Store makes it harder for new publishers to release applications".
"Generating $1 million in revenue has been a tougher task," says Distimo, "with "only a few" titles reaching this milestone in the first one month of availability. The fastest new revenue-generating apps, Angry Birds Star Wars, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Temple Run 2, all come from an existing franchise."
- How predictive tech may simplify engagement
- Survey: Mobiles look to devices before, during, after shopping
- Study: Live TV still trumps time-shifted
- Brands: How to make the most of ad placement
- Avoidance a big reason for blocking calls
- App Annie: App stores' revenue gap closing
- Marin study reveals the effect of integrating search and social campaigns
- Reports: Ad spend up on Bing, consumers still heavy on Google
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...