News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Distimo: App Store tough environment for new developers
App developers all want in to the App Store but, as new data from Distimo reveals, newcomers are finding it increasingly difficult to get their foot in the door.
Very few mobile apps in the App Store are from new developers and publishers, found app analytics firm Distimo. In fact, the majority of the top apps are released by existing, established publishers. Just 2% are new.
In what is a very crowded marketplace, with hundreds of thousands of apps, newcomers represent an "even smaller part of the revenue". Just 0.25% of revenue generated by the App Store goes to new apps.
Newcomers to Google Play published more titles than new players in the App Store, 6 versus 2 respectively. In its blog post, Distimo noted that "a plausible explanation is the review policy of Apple App Store makes it harder for new publishers to release applications".
"Generating $1 million in revenue has been a tougher task," says Distimo, "with "only a few" titles reaching this milestone in the first one month of availability. The fastest new revenue-generating apps, Angry Birds Star Wars, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Temple Run 2, all come from an existing franchise."
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...