News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Distimo: App Store tough environment for new developers
App developers all want in to the App Store but, as new data from Distimo reveals, newcomers are finding it increasingly difficult to get their foot in the door.
Very few mobile apps in the App Store are from new developers and publishers, found app analytics firm Distimo. In fact, the majority of the top apps are released by existing, established publishers. Just 2% are new.
In what is a very crowded marketplace, with hundreds of thousands of apps, newcomers represent an "even smaller part of the revenue". Just 0.25% of revenue generated by the App Store goes to new apps.
Newcomers to Google Play published more titles than new players in the App Store, 6 versus 2 respectively. In its blog post, Distimo noted that "a plausible explanation is the review policy of Apple App Store makes it harder for new publishers to release applications".
"Generating $1 million in revenue has been a tougher task," says Distimo, "with "only a few" titles reaching this milestone in the first one month of availability. The fastest new revenue-generating apps, Angry Birds Star Wars, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Temple Run 2, all come from an existing franchise."
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...