News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm hits $186b for 2012
Q4 2012 may have everyone talking about the future of ecommerce, but new data out from comScore may push the talk to new heights. On the heels of a fourth quarter worth more than $40 billion to online retailers, comScore is reporting that the full year (2012) saw $186.2 billion in online ecommerce spending.
That is an increase of 15% from 2011 to 2012 and marks the ninth quarter in a row when ecommerce grew more than 10% quarter to quarter. In the US, the ecomm spend now accounts for 10% of total retail spending.
"2012 was a year in which - for the most part - e-commerce continued to grow strongly, despite an uneven macroeconomic environment showing signs of recovery but also cause for continued concern," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.
Digital Content/Subscriptions led the spending rush, likely thanks to more e-readers, iPods and tablets being on the market. However, Consumer Electronics was another hot category along with Games/Hobbies and Apparel/Accessories.
"With e-commerce growth rates consistently in the mid-teens throughout the year, it is clear that the online channel has won over the American consumer and will increasingly be relied upon to deliver on the dimensions of lower price, convenience and selection," said Fulgoni. "The only real blemish on an otherwise outstanding year for e-commerce was a holiday season that fell shy of initial expectations, apparently due to consumers' fiscal cliff concerns. To the extent that this pullback was just a temporary shock and not a sign of underlying economic weakness, we are optimistic that 2013 will build on the momentum of the past year."
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...