News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm hits $186b for 2012
Q4 2012 may have everyone talking about the future of ecommerce, but new data out from comScore may push the talk to new heights. On the heels of a fourth quarter worth more than $40 billion to online retailers, comScore is reporting that the full year (2012) saw $186.2 billion in online ecommerce spending.
That is an increase of 15% from 2011 to 2012 and marks the ninth quarter in a row when ecommerce grew more than 10% quarter to quarter. In the US, the ecomm spend now accounts for 10% of total retail spending.
"2012 was a year in which - for the most part - e-commerce continued to grow strongly, despite an uneven macroeconomic environment showing signs of recovery but also cause for continued concern," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.
Digital Content/Subscriptions led the spending rush, likely thanks to more e-readers, iPods and tablets being on the market. However, Consumer Electronics was another hot category along with Games/Hobbies and Apparel/Accessories.
"With e-commerce growth rates consistently in the mid-teens throughout the year, it is clear that the online channel has won over the American consumer and will increasingly be relied upon to deliver on the dimensions of lower price, convenience and selection," said Fulgoni. "The only real blemish on an otherwise outstanding year for e-commerce was a holiday season that fell shy of initial expectations, apparently due to consumers' fiscal cliff concerns. To the extent that this pullback was just a temporary shock and not a sign of underlying economic weakness, we are optimistic that 2013 will build on the momentum of the past year."
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...