News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm hits $186b for 2012
Q4 2012 may have everyone talking about the future of ecommerce, but new data out from comScore may push the talk to new heights. On the heels of a fourth quarter worth more than $40 billion to online retailers, comScore is reporting that the full year (2012) saw $186.2 billion in online ecommerce spending.
That is an increase of 15% from 2011 to 2012 and marks the ninth quarter in a row when ecommerce grew more than 10% quarter to quarter. In the US, the ecomm spend now accounts for 10% of total retail spending.
"2012 was a year in which - for the most part - e-commerce continued to grow strongly, despite an uneven macroeconomic environment showing signs of recovery but also cause for continued concern," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.
Digital Content/Subscriptions led the spending rush, likely thanks to more e-readers, iPods and tablets being on the market. However, Consumer Electronics was another hot category along with Games/Hobbies and Apparel/Accessories.
"With e-commerce growth rates consistently in the mid-teens throughout the year, it is clear that the online channel has won over the American consumer and will increasingly be relied upon to deliver on the dimensions of lower price, convenience and selection," said Fulgoni. "The only real blemish on an otherwise outstanding year for e-commerce was a holiday season that fell shy of initial expectations, apparently due to consumers' fiscal cliff concerns. To the extent that this pullback was just a temporary shock and not a sign of underlying economic weakness, we are optimistic that 2013 will build on the momentum of the past year."
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
- Platform promises to connect marketers, consumers
- Mobile app shoppers generate more revenue than mobile website and desktop shoppers
- Mums turn to Facebook for recommendations and parenting communities
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...