News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm hits $186b for 2012
Q4 2012 may have everyone talking about the future of ecommerce, but new data out from comScore may push the talk to new heights. On the heels of a fourth quarter worth more than $40 billion to online retailers, comScore is reporting that the full year (2012) saw $186.2 billion in online ecommerce spending.
That is an increase of 15% from 2011 to 2012 and marks the ninth quarter in a row when ecommerce grew more than 10% quarter to quarter. In the US, the ecomm spend now accounts for 10% of total retail spending.
"2012 was a year in which - for the most part - e-commerce continued to grow strongly, despite an uneven macroeconomic environment showing signs of recovery but also cause for continued concern," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.
Digital Content/Subscriptions led the spending rush, likely thanks to more e-readers, iPods and tablets being on the market. However, Consumer Electronics was another hot category along with Games/Hobbies and Apparel/Accessories.
"With e-commerce growth rates consistently in the mid-teens throughout the year, it is clear that the online channel has won over the American consumer and will increasingly be relied upon to deliver on the dimensions of lower price, convenience and selection," said Fulgoni. "The only real blemish on an otherwise outstanding year for e-commerce was a holiday season that fell shy of initial expectations, apparently due to consumers' fiscal cliff concerns. To the extent that this pullback was just a temporary shock and not a sign of underlying economic weakness, we are optimistic that 2013 will build on the momentum of the past year."
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
- Studies predict strong holiday shopping season
- Unruly IDs the most shared videos of 2014
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....