News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: Ecomm hits $186b for 2012
Q4 2012 may have everyone talking about the future of ecommerce, but new data out from comScore may push the talk to new heights. On the heels of a fourth quarter worth more than $40 billion to online retailers, comScore is reporting that the full year (2012) saw $186.2 billion in online ecommerce spending.
That is an increase of 15% from 2011 to 2012 and marks the ninth quarter in a row when ecommerce grew more than 10% quarter to quarter. In the US, the ecomm spend now accounts for 10% of total retail spending.
"2012 was a year in which - for the most part - e-commerce continued to grow strongly, despite an uneven macroeconomic environment showing signs of recovery but also cause for continued concern," said comScore chairman Gian Fulgoni.
Digital Content/Subscriptions led the spending rush, likely thanks to more e-readers, iPods and tablets being on the market. However, Consumer Electronics was another hot category along with Games/Hobbies and Apparel/Accessories.
"With e-commerce growth rates consistently in the mid-teens throughout the year, it is clear that the online channel has won over the American consumer and will increasingly be relied upon to deliver on the dimensions of lower price, convenience and selection," said Fulgoni. "The only real blemish on an otherwise outstanding year for e-commerce was a holiday season that fell shy of initial expectations, apparently due to consumers' fiscal cliff concerns. To the extent that this pullback was just a temporary shock and not a sign of underlying economic weakness, we are optimistic that 2013 will build on the momentum of the past year."
- AdRoundup: Video, mobile and social offerings increase connectivity
- UK: February floods lead to rise in ecommerce sales
- Top 3 tips to create lasting brand buzz
- Expert warns bitcoin has drawbacks for SMBs
- Twitter testing click-to-call
- UK: Mobile ad spend to outstrip newspaper ad spend in 2014
- The most shared video clips depend on region
- Top tax tips that will protect your information
Featured White Papers
- Choosing the Best Web CMS for Customer Experience Management
In this paper, learn how to choose the right CMS for you and your business from the eyes of a...
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....