News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: 2012 a watershed year for mobile
New data out today from comScore underlines the importance of mobile to brands - namely that more than 125 million consumers (US) now own smartphones and that 50 million now own tablets. This new adoption rate is pushing more consumers into the 'always on' mentality and blurring the line between work, personal time and entertainment.
Here are some takeaways from the report:
• Smartphones have finally surpassed 50% market penetration, smartphone adoption is up 29% (vs 2011) and 99% (vs 2010)
• Android and iOS hold a 90% share of the smartphone market (US)
• High speed connections have pushed mobile media consumption with many users connecting with WiFi almost constantly
• Samsung is the fastest growing OEM, showing 100% growth (2011 - 2012)
" was a watershed year for mobile, with smartphones surpassing 50 percent penetration and tablets continuing to gain traction," said Mark Donovan, comScore SVP for Mobile. "As consumers incorporate these devices into their daily diet of digital media consumption, marketers and media companies are challenged to confront this emerging multi-platform paradigm. Having a clear view of today's digital landscape - and particularly the rapidly expanding usage of mobile devices - will be critical to success in the year ahead."
As for what mobile consumers are doing on their smartphones and tablets, studies show that they are using mobiles to connect with product information while shopping in-store, they are utilizing apps and mobile browsers to connect with social networks and check email, and they are playing games, also via both app and browser.
- Expert: Why brands should consider the subscription box
- Retail trends to watch for 2017
- Expert: Tips for a more productive 2017
- Consumers more likely to click on ads featuring user-generated photography
- Personalized offers on mobile drive consumers in-store
- Marketers prioritizing social media for product launches
- Reports: Mobile hot but not everyone is buying
- Ad Roundup: Acquisition, launch to add layers of control
Featured White Papers
- How to Deliver Content Your Employees Will Love to Share
Your employees are your greatest asset. It makes perfect sense that companies would double down on their own talent, empowering...