News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
comScore: 2012 a watershed year for mobile
New data out today from comScore underlines the importance of mobile to brands - namely that more than 125 million consumers (US) now own smartphones and that 50 million now own tablets. This new adoption rate is pushing more consumers into the 'always on' mentality and blurring the line between work, personal time and entertainment.
Here are some takeaways from the report:
• Smartphones have finally surpassed 50% market penetration, smartphone adoption is up 29% (vs 2011) and 99% (vs 2010)
• Android and iOS hold a 90% share of the smartphone market (US)
• High speed connections have pushed mobile media consumption with many users connecting with WiFi almost constantly
• Samsung is the fastest growing OEM, showing 100% growth (2011 - 2012)
" was a watershed year for mobile, with smartphones surpassing 50 percent penetration and tablets continuing to gain traction," said Mark Donovan, comScore SVP for Mobile. "As consumers incorporate these devices into their daily diet of digital media consumption, marketers and media companies are challenged to confront this emerging multi-platform paradigm. Having a clear view of today's digital landscape - and particularly the rapidly expanding usage of mobile devices - will be critical to success in the year ahead."
As for what mobile consumers are doing on their smartphones and tablets, studies show that they are using mobiles to connect with product information while shopping in-store, they are utilizing apps and mobile browsers to connect with social networks and check email, and they are playing games, also via both app and browser.
- Experiences - not amenities - create most social media chatter about hotels
- Younger consumers will share personal data in exchange for more accurate search results
- Forecast: App store spend to increase 33%
- Report shows Southwest winning digital airline wars
- Expert: Why unsubscribes aren't necessarily bad
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...