News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ads biggest Super Bowl attraction for 26.6% of viewers
For more than a quarter of this year's Super Bowl viewers it isn't the game that will be the big attraction, found the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association, it's the ads.
More than 179.1 million people will have watched the game, the most in the survey's nine-year history and up from an estimated 172.5 million last year.
While the biggest draw is the action on the field, the unique Super Bowl commercials are the second-biggest reason people tune in to the sporting event (26.6%). That gives ads more importance than getting together with friends (18.8%), or even the half-time show (9.6%).
For more than three-quarters (76.6%) of those responding to the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association (RAMA)/BIGinsight survey, the ads were considered as entertainment, up from 73% last year.
While Super Bowl ads are highly anticipated, few survey respondents said they were driven to make a purchase as a result of those ads. However, the ads do drive 9% of consumers to go on to investigate brands online, up from 7% previously.
"For advertisers, commercials are more than entertainment, they are a way to increase awareness of a brand or service, and they've got an unusually captive audience," says the National Retail Federation (a division of RAMA). "The survey found 19.5% say the commercials make them aware of the advertisers' brand and another 10.5% say the commercials influence them to buy products from advertisers - the highest percentage reported in the survey's history."
- Big brands' ads found playing before ISIS YouTube videos
- Image-based social networks up their ad game
- Few help desk systems are cloud-based
- Survey: Phablets fastest growing mobile device
- Brands: How content should change your mobile strategy
- In-store sales down for Valentines finds report
- Top 3 tips for non-profits to succeed in digital
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...