News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ads biggest Super Bowl attraction for 26.6% of viewers
For more than a quarter of this year's Super Bowl viewers it isn't the game that will be the big attraction, found the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association, it's the ads.
More than 179.1 million people will have watched the game, the most in the survey's nine-year history and up from an estimated 172.5 million last year.
While the biggest draw is the action on the field, the unique Super Bowl commercials are the second-biggest reason people tune in to the sporting event (26.6%). That gives ads more importance than getting together with friends (18.8%), or even the half-time show (9.6%).
For more than three-quarters (76.6%) of those responding to the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association (RAMA)/BIGinsight survey, the ads were considered as entertainment, up from 73% last year.
While Super Bowl ads are highly anticipated, few survey respondents said they were driven to make a purchase as a result of those ads. However, the ads do drive 9% of consumers to go on to investigate brands online, up from 7% previously.
"For advertisers, commercials are more than entertainment, they are a way to increase awareness of a brand or service, and they've got an unusually captive audience," says the National Retail Federation (a division of RAMA). "The survey found 19.5% say the commercials make them aware of the advertisers' brand and another 10.5% say the commercials influence them to buy products from advertisers - the highest percentage reported in the survey's history."
- Report: Data scientists spend bulk of time cleaning up
- Retailers: 3 ways shoppers are gaming you
- Mobile Roundup: 2 solutions in the mobile space to broaden reach
- Ad Roundup: 3 solutions to power brand engagement
- Study: 'Digital amnesia' the result of over-reliance on mobile
- New Zealand passes law criminalizing cyberbullying
- U.K.: Marketers concerned about keeping pace with marketing technology
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...