News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ads biggest Super Bowl attraction for 26.6% of viewers
For more than a quarter of this year's Super Bowl viewers it isn't the game that will be the big attraction, found the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association, it's the ads.
More than 179.1 million people will have watched the game, the most in the survey's nine-year history and up from an estimated 172.5 million last year.
While the biggest draw is the action on the field, the unique Super Bowl commercials are the second-biggest reason people tune in to the sporting event (26.6%). That gives ads more importance than getting together with friends (18.8%), or even the half-time show (9.6%).
For more than three-quarters (76.6%) of those responding to the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association (RAMA)/BIGinsight survey, the ads were considered as entertainment, up from 73% last year.
While Super Bowl ads are highly anticipated, few survey respondents said they were driven to make a purchase as a result of those ads. However, the ads do drive 9% of consumers to go on to investigate brands online, up from 7% previously.
"For advertisers, commercials are more than entertainment, they are a way to increase awareness of a brand or service, and they've got an unusually captive audience," says the National Retail Federation (a division of RAMA). "The survey found 19.5% say the commercials make them aware of the advertisers' brand and another 10.5% say the commercials influence them to buy products from advertisers - the highest percentage reported in the survey's history."
- Study: Mobile users want home screen options
- What's a CDO and why does your brand need one?
- Report: In social the ladies rule the world
- Research reveals consumers juggle multiple devices throughout the day
- Getty Images makes millions of images free to embed
- Americans abandon purchases in-store after 8 minutes waiting in line
- Euclid: February sales less than lovely
- How BrightTag re-engaged shoppers
Featured White Papers
- Mobile Marketing: The Time is Now
Consumers are now more comfortable using retailers' mobile applications that can help them find specific products and brands, or just...
- The Definitive Guide to Marketing Automation
Why is marketing automation so hot right now? This guide will show you what marketing automation is and how it...
- The Inbound Website: Getting Found with SEO & Social
Extend your inbound marketing strategy to your entire website with actionable tips and best practices that help you increase visitors,...
- 17 Ways to Build a Great Brand Today
This white paper highlights 17 developments that are influencing brand-building today and what great brands are doing about them....
- How to Stop Webpage Speed from Killing Your Marketing
Your website visitors have high expectations about how quickly your web site should load on their desktop and mobile devices....