News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Ads biggest Super Bowl attraction for 26.6% of viewers
For more than a quarter of this year's Super Bowl viewers it isn't the game that will be the big attraction, found the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association, it's the ads.
More than 179.1 million people will have watched the game, the most in the survey's nine-year history and up from an estimated 172.5 million last year.
While the biggest draw is the action on the field, the unique Super Bowl commercials are the second-biggest reason people tune in to the sporting event (26.6%). That gives ads more importance than getting together with friends (18.8%), or even the half-time show (9.6%).
For more than three-quarters (76.6%) of those responding to the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association (RAMA)/BIGinsight survey, the ads were considered as entertainment, up from 73% last year.
While Super Bowl ads are highly anticipated, few survey respondents said they were driven to make a purchase as a result of those ads. However, the ads do drive 9% of consumers to go on to investigate brands online, up from 7% previously.
"For advertisers, commercials are more than entertainment, they are a way to increase awareness of a brand or service, and they've got an unusually captive audience," says the National Retail Federation (a division of RAMA). "The survey found 19.5% say the commercials make them aware of the advertisers' brand and another 10.5% say the commercials influence them to buy products from advertisers - the highest percentage reported in the survey's history."
- SMBs: What to look for in your next device
- 3 ways analytics may be clouding your strategy
- Why brands need to know document search
- Half of cybersecurity experts say mobile payments are not secure
- Amazon the go-to place for consumers to search for products
- Which holiday season promos will motivate consumers to buy?
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...