News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
AdChoices logo comes to Facebook
In response to pressure from the ad industry, Facebook will soon introduce the Digital Advertising Alliance's "AdChoices" logo to ads served through Facebook Exchange.
Because the social network's real-time bidding platform can serve ads based on third-party cookies instead of Facebook's own data, some within the ad industry have asked that those ads be accompanied by the "AdChoices" logo.
The logo identifies an ad as being served as a result of data collected not on Facebook, but from a user's Internet browsing activity.
"We have always given our users the ability to provide feedback on and control the ads they see on Facebook, by hiding, reporting, or clicking through to learn more about why particular ads are being served," Brian Boland, Facebook's director of product marketing, told AdAge. "Giving advertisers the ability to implement the AdChoices icon provides another option; another mechanism of control."
However, the AdChoices logo isn't easily found within an ad, unlike their obvious placement in banner ads, so let's hope there's some user education surrounding this move. In fact, unless a user positions their mouse over the ad, then again hovers over a grey x that will appear in the corner of the ad, they won't see the logo.
Don't worry if you have yet to spot an AdChoices logo on Facebook. It won't begin appearing on Facebook Exchange ads until the end of the first quarter.
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...