News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
99.6% of all 2012 music singles purchased in UK were downloaded
In the wake of HMV's exit from the high street, new figures from trade body British Photograph Industry reveals that almost one in five music fans in the UK now prefer to buy all their music as downloads.
The BPI's Digital Music Nation 2013 report shows that over one quarter (27.7%) of the population in the UK purchased downloads or streamed content legally in 2012.
Of the 189 million singles purchased in 2012, 99.6% of them were downloaded while nearly a third of album sales are now digital. 2012 was a "tipping point" for digital music, says the BPI, with more than half of last year's income derived from digital sales via services such as Amazon and iTunes.
The study also reveals that music streaming services are rated very highly for satisfaction (93%) and awareness (80%). Almost one in five (19.6%) British consumers have abandoned buying physical versions for good.
"And this is just the beginning," says Geoff Taylor, BPI Chief Executive. "Labels are striking innovative new deals with mobile networks, hardware manufacturers, app developers and start-ups. The music fan will be the clear winner, as digital services evolve to deliver even richer music experiences via super-fast broadband and 4G to tablets, smart TVs and the next generation of in-car audio."
- SMBs: How to remain visible during the election push
- Brands: How to prepare for a non-Flash environment
- BrightEdge: Brands are missing consumer engagement with content
- Experts weigh in on the death of Flash
- Study finds payment issues top affiliates' complaint list
- Study: Indian mobile use skyrocketing
- How travel brands can stop fraud
- Cart abandonment rates lower for charities than other sectors
Featured White Papers
- The Step-By-Step Guide to Building Your Custom Attribution Model
Solving the attribution problem will be one of the most important things you do to boost ROI for your organization....
- What drives Email Open Rates
eDataSource compares certain quarterly email engagement metrics across five somewhat similar retailers, based on our visibility into the email activity...