News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
99.6% of all 2012 music singles purchased in UK were downloaded
In the wake of HMV's exit from the high street, new figures from trade body British Photograph Industry reveals that almost one in five music fans in the UK now prefer to buy all their music as downloads.
The BPI's Digital Music Nation 2013 report shows that over one quarter (27.7%) of the population in the UK purchased downloads or streamed content legally in 2012.
Of the 189 million singles purchased in 2012, 99.6% of them were downloaded while nearly a third of album sales are now digital. 2012 was a "tipping point" for digital music, says the BPI, with more than half of last year's income derived from digital sales via services such as Amazon and iTunes.
The study also reveals that music streaming services are rated very highly for satisfaction (93%) and awareness (80%). Almost one in five (19.6%) British consumers have abandoned buying physical versions for good.
"And this is just the beginning," says Geoff Taylor, BPI Chief Executive. "Labels are striking innovative new deals with mobile networks, hardware manufacturers, app developers and start-ups. The music fan will be the clear winner, as digital services evolve to deliver even richer music experiences via super-fast broadband and 4G to tablets, smart TVs and the next generation of in-car audio."
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...