News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
99.6% of all 2012 music singles purchased in UK were downloaded
In the wake of HMV's exit from the high street, new figures from trade body British Photograph Industry reveals that almost one in five music fans in the UK now prefer to buy all their music as downloads.
The BPI's Digital Music Nation 2013 report shows that over one quarter (27.7%) of the population in the UK purchased downloads or streamed content legally in 2012.
Of the 189 million singles purchased in 2012, 99.6% of them were downloaded while nearly a third of album sales are now digital. 2012 was a "tipping point" for digital music, says the BPI, with more than half of last year's income derived from digital sales via services such as Amazon and iTunes.
The study also reveals that music streaming services are rated very highly for satisfaction (93%) and awareness (80%). Almost one in five (19.6%) British consumers have abandoned buying physical versions for good.
"And this is just the beginning," says Geoff Taylor, BPI Chief Executive. "Labels are striking innovative new deals with mobile networks, hardware manufacturers, app developers and start-ups. The music fan will be the clear winner, as digital services evolve to deliver even richer music experiences via super-fast broadband and 4G to tablets, smart TVs and the next generation of in-car audio."
- Why brands should mine holiday data for new year performance
- Study: Mobiles don't want to be interrupted
- Olfactory device for mobile phones not to be sniffed at
- Report reveals impact of slow load times on brand perception
- Print catalogs continue to drive sales in Australia
- Study: Shoppers more focused on the end-game
- Adchemy release pulls keywords from branded content
- RocketLawyer: SMBs looking forward to 2014
Featured White Papers
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...