News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
46% of marketers 'occasionally' gain insight from company analytics data
MarketingSherpa's first ever Marketing Analytics Benchmark Report has just been released. Packed with insights from marketers in over 1,100 companies, the report outlines what marketers are doing right in their use of marketing analytics and where there's room for improvement.
A significant finding from the report is that just 37% of marketers routinely gain insight from in-house marketing analytics. The majority (46%) only occasionally gain insight while 6% rarely do so, 9% lack the tools, and 2% don't have access to analytics data.
Of those that don't use marketing analytics to make marketing decisions, 42% rely on gut instinct.
Familiar factors are cited as being the biggest barriers to effective analytics use; 21% of participants said lack of resources and 20% said a lack of time. Other factors include a lack of experience or understanding (17%), and budget limitations (15%).
"We find analytics extremely useful, but I don't think upper-management attaches as much monetary value to it as it should have because of their lack of understanding," says participant Matt Seitz, Marketing Manager, ERC.
Other key findings from the report include:
- 25% of companies have significant data on most client interactions and 14% have "vast quantities"; 40% have an average amount of data;
- Generating reports is the most common analytics platform use (48%) whereas 27% use it for gaining deeper insights;
- The most common metrics routinely tracked are open rates (78%), click-through rates (73%), and unsubscribe rates (65%).
According to the report, "It's no longer enough to just use traditional clickstream analytics. Simply measuring page-views and path analysis doesn't lead to action."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...