News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Time spent watching online video on tablets rose 110% in Q4 2012
The amount of online video viewed on a tablet grew significantly last year, but mobile video viewing overall remains but a small proportion of all time spent watching online video, according to new research released by Ooyala.
The 2012 Q4 Video Index Report from Ooyala investigates how online video is being consumed. A key finding is that tablet and mobile viewing is rising fast. Tablet share grew 110% in 2012 and smartphones and other mobile devices 87%.
However, even combined, online video viewing via mobile accounted for just 8.25% of all video viewing hours in December, 2012, up from 4.15% at the start of that year.
By comparison, desktop online video viewing was almost 90%.
Around a third of total time spent watching video on a tablet in Q4 2012 was with premium, long form content running more than 60 minutes. Branded video views also surged 91% from the start of the quarter, peaking in mid-December.
Ooyala found that iPhone users watched twice as much video on their phones than Android users did in 2012.
"Streaming video has crossed an inflection point and it's now a necessary channel for both consumers as well as broadcasters, brands and media companies around the world," said Jay Fulcher, CEO of Ooyala.
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...