News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Video ads: Research reveals the ingredients for an ad viewers want to watch
New experimental research from Harvard Business School Assistant Professor Thales S. Teixeira could turn online video ad creative on its head. It found that, in a world where ads can usually be skipped or ignored, the traditional surprise, or punch-line ending, isn't getting the most 'attention' bang for the buck.
Just because an online video ad is displayed on a viewer's computer screen doesn't mean it is actually viewed. Assistant Professor Teixeria's recent experiments have shown that, in order to capture and keep a viewer's attention to video ads, the traditional format of delivering a surprise or punch-line at the end needs to be turned on its head.
Why? Because ad-skipping audiences may not even get to the end of an ad, either skipping it or tuning-out and involving themselves in other activities online.
What Teixeria's facial and eye-tracking experiments revealed is that the most effective way to capture attention in a video ad is to evoke surprise first and foremost. Evoking joy was then the most effective way to retaining a viewer's attention.
"The findings showed that advertisers should use a quick element of surprise at the beginning of an ad, followed by a longer period of joy, in order to get the most 'attention' bang for the buck," says Teixeira.
The findings will be published in an upcoming article (.pdf) in the Journal of Marketing Research, "Emotion-Induced Engagement in Internet Video Ads," coauthored by Teixeira and fellow researchers Michel Wedel of the University of Maryland and Rik Pieters of Tilburg University.
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
- Study: Finance, saving important to Millenials
- Survey: More consumers want to be paperless
- Survey IDS when customers will share personal data
- Bing: Voice searches for hotels up 343% YoY
- Top 5 tips to take business paperless
- Snap Ads spend rises 593% QoQ
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...