News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Video ads: Research reveals the ingredients for an ad viewers want to watch
New experimental research from Harvard Business School Assistant Professor Thales S. Teixeira could turn online video ad creative on its head. It found that, in a world where ads can usually be skipped or ignored, the traditional surprise, or punch-line ending, isn't getting the most 'attention' bang for the buck.
Just because an online video ad is displayed on a viewer's computer screen doesn't mean it is actually viewed. Assistant Professor Teixeria's recent experiments have shown that, in order to capture and keep a viewer's attention to video ads, the traditional format of delivering a surprise or punch-line at the end needs to be turned on its head.
Why? Because ad-skipping audiences may not even get to the end of an ad, either skipping it or tuning-out and involving themselves in other activities online.
What Teixeria's facial and eye-tracking experiments revealed is that the most effective way to capture attention in a video ad is to evoke surprise first and foremost. Evoking joy was then the most effective way to retaining a viewer's attention.
"The findings showed that advertisers should use a quick element of surprise at the beginning of an ad, followed by a longer period of joy, in order to get the most 'attention' bang for the buck," says Teixeira.
The findings will be published in an upcoming article (.pdf) in the Journal of Marketing Research, "Emotion-Induced Engagement in Internet Video Ads," coauthored by Teixeira and fellow researchers Michel Wedel of the University of Maryland and Rik Pieters of Tilburg University.
- Cardiff University beats prestigious Oxford in online presence stakes
- Report: SMBs missing out on mobile commerce
- Reports: Consumers want television everywhere
- SMBs: The marketplace is getting tougher
- Platforms hope to push interactivity
- How password security is changing ecommerce
- Gracenote releases video APIs
- Enhanced data, engagement behind 3 new releases
Featured White Papers
- How to Drive More Traffic Without Increasing Budget
Counterfeiters are adept at mimicking top brands' digital marketing strategies by building pay per click (PPC) campaigns that exploit both...
- Explain What You Do: How a simple explainer video increased online conversion by 20%
In this case study we examine the explainer video for Inbenta, a natural language processing service operating in a highly...
- 7 Reasons To Consider Responsive Design For Your Companys Next Generation Website
In this white paper, learn the 7 reasons to consider responsive design for your company's next generation website. With the...
- Forrester Report: Digital Customer Experience Trends to Watch 2013
Digital touchpoints support an increasingly large percentage of the overall customer experience. 2012 saw the emergence of several important digital...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Beyond Last Touch: Understanding Campaign Effectiveness
Understanding what drives customers to take action is critical to your advertising investments. However, with a flood of available metrics...
- Display Ad Clickers Are Not Your Customers
Relying on clicks to drive conversions for display advertising is often a dead end. Consumers most likely to click on...