News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for video ad buys
The video audience has an ever changing face, whether brands are looking at online or offline programming. A new report out from Simulmedia may help some brands better connect with that audience.
What does the video audience looks like? Simulmedia has released their State of Digital Video Audiences report which notes that Americans are watching more television content than ever - thanks in part to the proliferation of mobile devices and flexible work schedules. According to the report television has morphed from being a one-room device to being an anywhere-you-want-it experience.
"The power of choice that video audiences now have in terms of what to watch and when to watch is a Pandora's Box that will not be closed in the coming years," write the authors of the report. "Rather, we are just seeing the beginning of the Age of Fragmentation, where video audiences will continue to expand what and how they watch in ways that will only make the jobs of advertisers and their agencies harder."
The report notes that cable channels are not only re-running syndicated content but developing new shows to engage and audience that is willing to watch at all times of the day or night. And some of that viewing will be from DVR recordings rather than the 'live' versions. To adapt, the report suggests:
• Viewers are watching Primetime in other dayparts including Fringe (4p-8p) and Late Night (12a-6a)
• During a 2 week period, 54% of TV ad dollars were spent in primetime but only resulted in 34% of all impressions
• Cable can help advertisers reach more viewers
The report's authors note that TV Audiences aren't as traditional as was once thought. Rather than all Rich Male Viewers watching Bloomberg, for example, the research shows this affluent demographic is also watching Saturday Night Live, The Soup and Iceberg Hunters. Millennial Males, meanwhile, are turning to shows like Best Ink and Behind the Music.
With these changes, how can a brand do better with video ads?
First, researchers suggest sticking with tried-and-true channels, like Bravo to reach women, while adding in some targeted ad buys based on TV data sets.
Second, talk to your buyers about fragmentation and how contextually targeted ad buys can help performance.
Finally, look very hard at the brand's core audience and then take a hard look at programming that appeals to that target marketplace.
"Audience fragmentation means advertisers are going to have to work a lot harder understanding their audiences to ensure viewers see the right message in the right mindset," is written in the report. "Advertisers need to apply the same analytical rigor to understanding and measuring their audience that TV has been doing in content production for years."
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...