News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips for video ad buys
The video audience has an ever changing face, whether brands are looking at online or offline programming. A new report out from Simulmedia may help some brands better connect with that audience.
What does the video audience looks like? Simulmedia has released their State of Digital Video Audiences report which notes that Americans are watching more television content than ever - thanks in part to the proliferation of mobile devices and flexible work schedules. According to the report television has morphed from being a one-room device to being an anywhere-you-want-it experience.
"The power of choice that video audiences now have in terms of what to watch and when to watch is a Pandora's Box that will not be closed in the coming years," write the authors of the report. "Rather, we are just seeing the beginning of the Age of Fragmentation, where video audiences will continue to expand what and how they watch in ways that will only make the jobs of advertisers and their agencies harder."
The report notes that cable channels are not only re-running syndicated content but developing new shows to engage and audience that is willing to watch at all times of the day or night. And some of that viewing will be from DVR recordings rather than the 'live' versions. To adapt, the report suggests:
• Viewers are watching Primetime in other dayparts including Fringe (4p-8p) and Late Night (12a-6a)
• During a 2 week period, 54% of TV ad dollars were spent in primetime but only resulted in 34% of all impressions
• Cable can help advertisers reach more viewers
The report's authors note that TV Audiences aren't as traditional as was once thought. Rather than all Rich Male Viewers watching Bloomberg, for example, the research shows this affluent demographic is also watching Saturday Night Live, The Soup and Iceberg Hunters. Millennial Males, meanwhile, are turning to shows like Best Ink and Behind the Music.
With these changes, how can a brand do better with video ads?
First, researchers suggest sticking with tried-and-true channels, like Bravo to reach women, while adding in some targeted ad buys based on TV data sets.
Second, talk to your buyers about fragmentation and how contextually targeted ad buys can help performance.
Finally, look very hard at the brand's core audience and then take a hard look at programming that appeals to that target marketplace.
"Audience fragmentation means advertisers are going to have to work a lot harder understanding their audiences to ensure viewers see the right message in the right mindset," is written in the report. "Advertisers need to apply the same analytical rigor to understanding and measuring their audience that TV has been doing in content production for years."
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...