News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The Facebook phone is here and it's already in your pocket
As the Internet fizzes with news of Facebook's Graph Search, the social network has slipped in another new feature which, while hotly anticipated for some time, hasn't materialized in quite the format expected.
Facebook quietly rolled out a new mobile feature today. It's not a new phone, but it's close.
Facebook confirmed it is rolling out Messenger for iPhone in the U.S. A 'Free Call' button on a user's profile enables their Friends to make free calls using either data connections or Wi-Fi. Users do not have to do anything to install the feature as it will update automatically.
Calls can't be made via the feature to landlines or cellphones, and is only available for iPhone users in the U.S. at present. No announcement has yet been made as to whether other operating systems or countries will be added any time soon.
"Facebook has essentially built a stealth operating system for the iPhone and Android smartphones," writes the Wall Street Journal's Matthew Lynley.
According to The Verge, who have had a chance to test the free calling feature, "the call quality sounds very good, and is certainly on par with competitors Viber, Vonage, and Skype".
So, no more fretting about if and when Facebook will launch its own phone. It's already in your pocket.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...