News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
The Facebook phone is here and it's already in your pocket
As the Internet fizzes with news of Facebook's Graph Search, the social network has slipped in another new feature which, while hotly anticipated for some time, hasn't materialized in quite the format expected.
Facebook quietly rolled out a new mobile feature today. It's not a new phone, but it's close.
Facebook confirmed it is rolling out Messenger for iPhone in the U.S. A 'Free Call' button on a user's profile enables their Friends to make free calls using either data connections or Wi-Fi. Users do not have to do anything to install the feature as it will update automatically.
Calls can't be made via the feature to landlines or cellphones, and is only available for iPhone users in the U.S. at present. No announcement has yet been made as to whether other operating systems or countries will be added any time soon.
"Facebook has essentially built a stealth operating system for the iPhone and Android smartphones," writes the Wall Street Journal's Matthew Lynley.
According to The Verge, who have had a chance to test the free calling feature, "the call quality sounds very good, and is certainly on par with competitors Viber, Vonage, and Skype".
So, no more fretting about if and when Facebook will launch its own phone. It's already in your pocket.
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
- Top 4 investments to make in 2015
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
- Are your employees stifling yawns during status meetings?
- Survey reveals the odd places consumers shop by mobile
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...