News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television continues to dominate U.S. media usage
Today's choice of media is larger than ever before yet, according to new figures released by Nielsen, Americans' time is still dominated by televisions and desktop computers. Also just released is a report by Twitter analyzing their users' behavior while watching television.
Nielsen's latest report looks at television ownership and usage compared with some of today's more portable devices.
Televisions continue to dominate American homes. Almost every household owns at least one television - 289 million out of a total population of 315 million - and 89% of owners have two or more.
Despite the increase in watching video content online, television viewing remains dominant at just over six days, or 144 hours, each month. Time spent online on a desktop computer comes in at far less - just 1 day and four hours each month. Meanwhile, viewing video content on mobile devices and video content online account for just 5 hours each month.
Even social media use takes place more on home computers than on mobile. Nielsen reports that 164 million Americans access social media on home computers while just 85 million gain access via a mobile app and 81 million via the mobile web.
Social network Twitter has just released the "Twitter TV Book" which looks at the Tweeting behavior of UK users watching television. Data is broken down into sex, age, device used, peak use, among other things.
- Google's HTTPS ranking signal has little to no effect
- 'Huge landmark' as ecommerce mobile traffic overtakes desktop
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...