News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television continues to dominate U.S. media usage
Today's choice of media is larger than ever before yet, according to new figures released by Nielsen, Americans' time is still dominated by televisions and desktop computers. Also just released is a report by Twitter analyzing their users' behavior while watching television.
Nielsen's latest report looks at television ownership and usage compared with some of today's more portable devices.
Televisions continue to dominate American homes. Almost every household owns at least one television - 289 million out of a total population of 315 million - and 89% of owners have two or more.
Despite the increase in watching video content online, television viewing remains dominant at just over six days, or 144 hours, each month. Time spent online on a desktop computer comes in at far less - just 1 day and four hours each month. Meanwhile, viewing video content on mobile devices and video content online account for just 5 hours each month.
Even social media use takes place more on home computers than on mobile. Nielsen reports that 164 million Americans access social media on home computers while just 85 million gain access via a mobile app and 81 million via the mobile web.
Social network Twitter has just released the "Twitter TV Book" which looks at the Tweeting behavior of UK users watching television. Data is broken down into sex, age, device used, peak use, among other things.
- What to expect on the video front in 2014
- How to create a solid A/B testing strategy
- Reports: Brands need strategy for mobile success
- Tapjoy reveals mobile habits of traveling consumers
- Product reviews on Facebook more trusted, influential than on other social media
- Mobile privacy and brand safety remain top challenges for UK media agencies
- Dispop proves the value of custom display ad creative
- Top 5 elements brands should test
Featured White Papers
- How-to Guide to Online Customer Community Technologies
This Gleansight benchmark report explores what community experiences offer the greatest value to businesses. It looks at what technologies, processes...
- 5 Tips for B2B Marketing Data Domination
You work hard to collect your marketing data. But you can collect so much that sometimes it's hard to make...
- 6 Step Roadmap to Engaging Customers With Social Media
For a growing number of consumers, social media is the preferred means of gathering product information and interacting with companies....
- The Making of a YouTube Blockbuster: 10 YouTube Blockbusters
You want to create the next viral video. Sure, who doesn't? But you knowing that videos "go viral" organically, not...
- 5 Questions About Managing Social Media that You Should Ask Your Agency
This white paper provides you with 5 questions you should ask agencies to help you separate the real candidates from...
- 10 Tips to Rock the Twittersphere
Engagement on Twitter can help companies build brand awareness, strengthen customer relations and cultivate brand advocacy. These 10 tips lay...