News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Television continues to dominate U.S. media usage
Today's choice of media is larger than ever before yet, according to new figures released by Nielsen, Americans' time is still dominated by televisions and desktop computers. Also just released is a report by Twitter analyzing their users' behavior while watching television.
Nielsen's latest report looks at television ownership and usage compared with some of today's more portable devices.
Televisions continue to dominate American homes. Almost every household owns at least one television - 289 million out of a total population of 315 million - and 89% of owners have two or more.
Despite the increase in watching video content online, television viewing remains dominant at just over six days, or 144 hours, each month. Time spent online on a desktop computer comes in at far less - just 1 day and four hours each month. Meanwhile, viewing video content on mobile devices and video content online account for just 5 hours each month.
Even social media use takes place more on home computers than on mobile. Nielsen reports that 164 million Americans access social media on home computers while just 85 million gain access via a mobile app and 81 million via the mobile web.
Social network Twitter has just released the "Twitter TV Book" which looks at the Tweeting behavior of UK users watching television. Data is broken down into sex, age, device used, peak use, among other things.
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...