News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Shoppers looking to mobile for deals
More than $30 billion was spent online over the 2012 holiday season, and a bulk of that shopping was done via mobile. Most shoppers continue to finalize online buys via laptop or desktop computer, but a growing number are using mobile in-store and those shoppers want even more from mobile in the future.
According to new data out from GfKRoper and SapientNitro 80% of smartphone owners used their mobile devices to aid shopping purchases over the 2012 holidays - more than have ever accessed mobile for shopping in the past. Other interesting findings include:
• 8 in 10 accessed mobile to research or browse products, a 15% increase Year over Year (YoY)
• 74% completed a purchase via mobile over the holidays, a 19% increase YoY
• 62% used retailer email offers, up 17% YoY
• 56% looked to customer review/ratings to make a purchase decision, up 16% YoY
In October, comScore reported smartphone penetration reached 55% in the EU5; in the US nearly 52% of adults were believed to have a smartphone (October). That is just over 121 million. About half of those people either used mobile browsers or downloaded apps during the reporting period.
Motorola, which has an 11% share of the mobile market according to comScore, reports that younger shoppers (64% of Millennials and 52% of Gen Xers) are most likely to use mobiles for shopping; only about one-third of Boomers use mobiles to shop, according to their user poll. Their reasons for using mobiles to shop include:
• Mobiles are 'better connected' than retail workers - 46% of Millennials, 38% of Gen Xers
• Mobiles are better at finding information than retail workers - 46% of Millennials, 36% of Gen Xers
- 'Adblockalypse' now?
- Mobile drives fastest UK digital ad growth rate in 7 years
- Product page conversion rates average 8%
- Snapchat beats Facebook for daily video views
- Global study reveals 'authenticity deficit' among brands
- Report: Video is video regardless of screen
- Study: US mobile app experience low
- Top 4 tips to succeed at Mother's Day email
Featured White Papers
- 6 SEO Predictions to Plan for in 2016
To succeed in 2016, marketers must pay heed to a number of critical SEO trends, including how they go about...
- How to Boost Reader Engagement 300%
Building an audience isn't just about quantity: it's also about quality. How can you increase the number of readers who...