News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Shoppers looking to mobile for deals
More than $30 billion was spent online over the 2012 holiday season, and a bulk of that shopping was done via mobile. Most shoppers continue to finalize online buys via laptop or desktop computer, but a growing number are using mobile in-store and those shoppers want even more from mobile in the future.
According to new data out from GfKRoper and SapientNitro 80% of smartphone owners used their mobile devices to aid shopping purchases over the 2012 holidays - more than have ever accessed mobile for shopping in the past. Other interesting findings include:
• 8 in 10 accessed mobile to research or browse products, a 15% increase Year over Year (YoY)
• 74% completed a purchase via mobile over the holidays, a 19% increase YoY
• 62% used retailer email offers, up 17% YoY
• 56% looked to customer review/ratings to make a purchase decision, up 16% YoY
In October, comScore reported smartphone penetration reached 55% in the EU5; in the US nearly 52% of adults were believed to have a smartphone (October). That is just over 121 million. About half of those people either used mobile browsers or downloaded apps during the reporting period.
Motorola, which has an 11% share of the mobile market according to comScore, reports that younger shoppers (64% of Millennials and 52% of Gen Xers) are most likely to use mobiles for shopping; only about one-third of Boomers use mobiles to shop, according to their user poll. Their reasons for using mobiles to shop include:
• Mobiles are 'better connected' than retail workers - 46% of Millennials, 38% of Gen Xers
• Mobiles are better at finding information than retail workers - 46% of Millennials, 36% of Gen Xers
- Demandbase: What won't happen in 2015
- Ecommerce Roundup: Shoppers findings leads on social media
- Report: Analysis high on B2Bers New Year List
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...