News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Mobiles are searching, clicking
Mobile consumers aren't only direct-navigating any longer. In the early days of the mobile web, many would direct navigate to websites because it was simpler than querying a search engine. But as the mobile web - and mobile screens - have grown, more people are searching and surfing through mobiles.
According to new data out from Marin Software brands are paying attention to mobile trends, and are now pushing more ad dollars at paid search via tablet than via smartphone (Q4 2012).
"Overall, tablets and smartphones accounted for a 22% share of paid search clicks with smartphones edging out tablets in click volume. However, advertisers invested more on tablets overall," said Matt Lawson, vice president of marketing and partnerships at Marin Software. "Due to the form factor of tablets, consumers find it easier to shop and transact, leading to higher conversion rates on tablets than smartphones and more competition for clicks. We expect the trend to continue as the number of tablets in the marketplace increases and as advertisers continue to optimize their campaigns for these devices."
Before Q4 2012, tablet search spending was below smartphone search spending; it's interesting to note that smartphone owners still outnumber tablet owners by about two to one.
Other interesting findings from the report include:
• Thanksgiving Weekend + Cyber Monday accounted for 8% of the tablet search spend for 2012
• 24% increase in click volume, 14% increase in cost-per-click 10% decrease in CTR (Q4 2012) through Google
• 25% increase in click volume, 22% CPC increase, 13% CTR increase (Q4 2012) via Yahoo/Bing
- Consumers, like many marketers, don't know what native advertising is
- Travel: Paid search spend continues downward trend
- Why developers need to test apps
- Unruly: SocNetters buzz about getting buzzed
- Survey: Friends, not search, pushing mobile video
- Release leaves power of the brand with the brand
- Pinterest improves product engagement with Rich Pins
- ONS data reveals the U.K.'s 7.1 million disconnected
Featured White Papers
- The Promise of Marketing Operations Management
How can marketers keep pace with the ever-expanding volume of campaigns, customized offers, contact channels and product claims? More than...
- 54 Examples of Brilliant Homepage Design
For any given company, the homepage is its virtual front door - and face to the world. If a new...
- Learn How to Increase Traffic, Leads and Sales By Reaching More Than 11 million people on Pinterest
Pinterest isn't just another social media network. What appears to be the fastest-growing social media site ever has become a...
- Improving ROI with Marketing Optimization
The requirement to juggle multiple constraints and considerations is an inescapable part of the marketing equation. Marketing executives need a...
- Top 10 Online Brand Protection Strategies for 2013
Whether stealing web traffic, pirating digital content or selling counterfeit goods, online scammers are sure to continue highjacking brands for...
- Get Serious About Email Marketing
Small business success starts with a solid email foundation. If you're a small business with limited resources, you need an...