News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Consumers more engaged, less understanding of online business
When it comes to online engagement, consumers seem to be engaging more deeply with content and brands online. The thing is, many people are still mystified by the actual working of the internet. For example, new data out from The Search Agency and Harris Interactive shows an abundance of people believe search engines 'charge dues'.
Some interesting findings from the 2012 Online User Behavior and Engagement Study:
• 70% know how to 'post to a wall' on Facebook
• 54% know how Facebook makes money
• 22% say they click search ads overall, 29% of Southerners click paid search ads, 19% of Westerners and 17% of Midwesterners
"This Study illuminates the distinct differences between online behavior and understanding based on various demographics; smart marketers will consider these and other behaviors when creating their strategies to engage the right user at the right time," said Keith Wilson, vice president, agency products at The Search Agency. "And, as users get more social, their intent will become even more visible to marketers - these insights can be used to construct the most personalized and, ultimately, successful online marketing strategies."
The study further found that more than one-third of those surveyed believe search engines are selling user information to marketers; just under one-third (29%) say companies 'pay dues' to use search and 20% say users must pay for 'premium search features'.
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....