News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Stingy, interfering clients frustrating digital and design agencies
It's been a decade since I worked in an agency, and back then we were unhappy doing increasingly in-depth pitches for free, loathed clients trying to muscle in on art direction and battled to get clients to accept the required fees. New findings in the latest Design Industry Voices report reveal not much has changed.
Things aren't rosy in the design industry's garden. Not only is staff turnover on the increase (58% plan to change jobs in the next 12 months), but clients are also tightening the squeeze on agencies.
The Design Industry Voices survey of 459 agency staff, including owners, account management, designers, and planners, found that 85% say clients expect more work for less money and 82% said clients have cut budgets.
Seven out of 10 say clients expect more work for pitches to be done free of charge, a bug-bear that has been around for a long time, but has recently become a more common client expectation.
A particularly infuriating trend is that clients, in an attempt to further stretch budgets, are interfering with the design process, leaving many designers indignant.
"In their incessant search for lower costs, clients have become yet more deluded in the misplaced faith they have in their own design ability," said one respondent. "Not content with doing their own job - rarely with any convincing skill or aptitude - they insist on doing mine too."
Another rightly points out that, unless clients respect the skills of the design professionals they have employed, they would not get the best out of their agency.
The Design Industry Voices 2012 report, by Fairley & Associates, Gabriele Skelton and On Pointe Marketing, can be read in full online (.pdf).
- Gigya: Facebook winning for logins
- Community Q&A: Do you need it? And how to use it
- Study: SMBs bride personal achievement over money
- DMA (UK) poll reveals most 'marketing friendly' social network
- LinkedIn: 300 million connected, 3 billion to go
- Kenshoo: Paid search continues double-digit yearly growth
- New platform uses social components to increase engagement
- How Facebook, AdWords can work together
Featured White Papers
- Marketing Automation Simplified : The Small Guide to Big Ideas
Marketers are increasingly enhancing their understanding of how data can fuel the delivery of meaningful interactions. This access to vast...
- Is your web site creating sales tax risk?
Answer 3 questions to learn....
- How to Properly Structure Your Social Program for Success
Most big brands structure their social program around business goals, however, sometimes there is a disconnect between the goals and...
- Email Device Report 2014: How Are Your Customers Viewing Email?
The Q4 2013 findings reveal that consumers are rapidly moving from desktops to mobile devices when it comes to opening...