News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming the cause of half a billion pound 'leak' from UK High Streets
In the run up to Christmas, half a billion pounds of business walked out of UK retailers' stores to be spent at a competitor's outlet thanks to the practice of showrooming.
Research by experience design agency Foolproof reveals the true impact of showrooming - a practice where consumers armed with mobile devices price-check items while in-store against other retailers.
Their research of 1,000 shoppers, conducted through Usurv, showed that a quarter (24%) of all UK shoppers participated in showrooming in the run-up to Christmas. The practice was most prevalent among younger mobile users - 39% among 18-39 year olds - dropping off to just 18% among those age 40 and over.
Foolproof also asked shoppers what they did after checking a price via mobile. Four in 10 showroomers, or 1 in 10 of all shoppers, said they walked out of a store empty-handed and made the purchase elsewhere, either at another store or online.
"Our research uncovers the true impact of showrooming on the UK High Street over the Christmas period," according to Foolproof's company blog. "It shows that 1 in 10 shoppers switched purchases from one retailer to another as a direct result of showrooming. Or put another way, half a billion* pounds of business walked out of the door to a competitor."
**Based on British Retail Consortium data of £5bn High Street spending over the weekend before Christmas.
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...