News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming the cause of half a billion pound 'leak' from UK High Streets
In the run up to Christmas, half a billion pounds of business walked out of UK retailers' stores to be spent at a competitor's outlet thanks to the practice of showrooming.
Research by experience design agency Foolproof reveals the true impact of showrooming - a practice where consumers armed with mobile devices price-check items while in-store against other retailers.
Their research of 1,000 shoppers, conducted through Usurv, showed that a quarter (24%) of all UK shoppers participated in showrooming in the run-up to Christmas. The practice was most prevalent among younger mobile users - 39% among 18-39 year olds - dropping off to just 18% among those age 40 and over.
Foolproof also asked shoppers what they did after checking a price via mobile. Four in 10 showroomers, or 1 in 10 of all shoppers, said they walked out of a store empty-handed and made the purchase elsewhere, either at another store or online.
"Our research uncovers the true impact of showrooming on the UK High Street over the Christmas period," according to Foolproof's company blog. "It shows that 1 in 10 shoppers switched purchases from one retailer to another as a direct result of showrooming. Or put another way, half a billion* pounds of business walked out of the door to a competitor."
**Based on British Retail Consortium data of £5bn High Street spending over the weekend before Christmas.
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...