News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming the cause of half a billion pound 'leak' from UK High Streets
In the run up to Christmas, half a billion pounds of business walked out of UK retailers' stores to be spent at a competitor's outlet thanks to the practice of showrooming.
Research by experience design agency Foolproof reveals the true impact of showrooming - a practice where consumers armed with mobile devices price-check items while in-store against other retailers.
Their research of 1,000 shoppers, conducted through Usurv, showed that a quarter (24%) of all UK shoppers participated in showrooming in the run-up to Christmas. The practice was most prevalent among younger mobile users - 39% among 18-39 year olds - dropping off to just 18% among those age 40 and over.
Foolproof also asked shoppers what they did after checking a price via mobile. Four in 10 showroomers, or 1 in 10 of all shoppers, said they walked out of a store empty-handed and made the purchase elsewhere, either at another store or online.
"Our research uncovers the true impact of showrooming on the UK High Street over the Christmas period," according to Foolproof's company blog. "It shows that 1 in 10 shoppers switched purchases from one retailer to another as a direct result of showrooming. Or put another way, half a billion* pounds of business walked out of the door to a competitor."
**Based on British Retail Consortium data of £5bn High Street spending over the weekend before Christmas.
- Videos best for Facebook reach, but don't ditch the photos
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
- Study: Nearly one-third say they 'don't do enough' to internationalize their business
- Millennials say the right content drives brand loyalty
- Consumers not impressed by engagement of branded apps
- Online shoppers excited about possibility of drone deliveries
- Colors affect sharing behavior on Pinterest
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...