News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Showrooming the cause of half a billion pound 'leak' from UK High Streets
In the run up to Christmas, half a billion pounds of business walked out of UK retailers' stores to be spent at a competitor's outlet thanks to the practice of showrooming.
Research by experience design agency Foolproof reveals the true impact of showrooming - a practice where consumers armed with mobile devices price-check items while in-store against other retailers.
Their research of 1,000 shoppers, conducted through Usurv, showed that a quarter (24%) of all UK shoppers participated in showrooming in the run-up to Christmas. The practice was most prevalent among younger mobile users - 39% among 18-39 year olds - dropping off to just 18% among those age 40 and over.
Foolproof also asked shoppers what they did after checking a price via mobile. Four in 10 showroomers, or 1 in 10 of all shoppers, said they walked out of a store empty-handed and made the purchase elsewhere, either at another store or online.
"Our research uncovers the true impact of showrooming on the UK High Street over the Christmas period," according to Foolproof's company blog. "It shows that 1 in 10 shoppers switched purchases from one retailer to another as a direct result of showrooming. Or put another way, half a billion* pounds of business walked out of the door to a competitor."
**Based on British Retail Consortium data of £5bn High Street spending over the weekend before Christmas.
- Expert: How to reconnect customers
- Fiksu launches mobile audience platform
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for mobile, online reach
- Imbalanced approach to social means consumers left waiting for response
- Reports show upswing for connected TV, downswing for pay
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- How technology can improve the classroom
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
Featured White Papers
- B2B Marketing Automation Platforms 2015: A Marketer's Guide
This report was prepared by conducting in-depth interviews with leading vendors and industry experts....
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...