News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers brace for huge volumes of returned gifts
Over half of American consumers are choosing to ship unwanted gifts back to online retailers rather than brave the January sales crowds to return them in person, while in the UK up to 40% of fashion purchases are returned during January.
A FedEx survey of more than 1,000 adults in the U.S. reveals that, of the 36% of Americans who expect to return a Christmas gift, over half (57%) will return items via the mail.
In the days following Christmas, returns to online retailers sent via the FedEx Ground network surged more than 25%. That rise is not surprising as free return shipping offers are one of the main drivers for online shopping, and many consumers prefer the ease of sending items back in the mail rather than brave the stores and malls.
In the U.K, up to 40% of fashion purchases and between 5% and 10% of electrical goods bought online are returned in January, according to new research from ecommerce consultant Javelin Group. That compares to a 30% return rate for fashion retailers throughout the year, as shoppers attempt to accurately assess sizing online.
Heikki Haldre, founder and chief executive of virtual fitting room provider Fits.me, thinks that a 40% return rate is actually pretty good.
"Anecdotally I have heard of rates approaching 70% in January as unwanted or incorrect Christmas gifts and spontaneous purchases made during post-Christmas Sales are returned," said Haldre. "Irrespective of how return rates are reported or accounted for, or whether they are 40% or 70%, such levels must be crippling for retailers - just the impact on cash flow must be painful."
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...