News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers brace for huge volumes of returned gifts
Over half of American consumers are choosing to ship unwanted gifts back to online retailers rather than brave the January sales crowds to return them in person, while in the UK up to 40% of fashion purchases are returned during January.
A FedEx survey of more than 1,000 adults in the U.S. reveals that, of the 36% of Americans who expect to return a Christmas gift, over half (57%) will return items via the mail.
In the days following Christmas, returns to online retailers sent via the FedEx Ground network surged more than 25%. That rise is not surprising as free return shipping offers are one of the main drivers for online shopping, and many consumers prefer the ease of sending items back in the mail rather than brave the stores and malls.
In the U.K, up to 40% of fashion purchases and between 5% and 10% of electrical goods bought online are returned in January, according to new research from ecommerce consultant Javelin Group. That compares to a 30% return rate for fashion retailers throughout the year, as shoppers attempt to accurately assess sizing online.
Heikki Haldre, founder and chief executive of virtual fitting room provider Fits.me, thinks that a 40% return rate is actually pretty good.
"Anecdotally I have heard of rates approaching 70% in January as unwanted or incorrect Christmas gifts and spontaneous purchases made during post-Christmas Sales are returned," said Haldre. "Irrespective of how return rates are reported or accounted for, or whether they are 40% or 70%, such levels must be crippling for retailers - just the impact on cash flow must be painful."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...