News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers brace for huge volumes of returned gifts
Over half of American consumers are choosing to ship unwanted gifts back to online retailers rather than brave the January sales crowds to return them in person, while in the UK up to 40% of fashion purchases are returned during January.
A FedEx survey of more than 1,000 adults in the U.S. reveals that, of the 36% of Americans who expect to return a Christmas gift, over half (57%) will return items via the mail.
In the days following Christmas, returns to online retailers sent via the FedEx Ground network surged more than 25%. That rise is not surprising as free return shipping offers are one of the main drivers for online shopping, and many consumers prefer the ease of sending items back in the mail rather than brave the stores and malls.
In the U.K, up to 40% of fashion purchases and between 5% and 10% of electrical goods bought online are returned in January, according to new research from ecommerce consultant Javelin Group. That compares to a 30% return rate for fashion retailers throughout the year, as shoppers attempt to accurately assess sizing online.
Heikki Haldre, founder and chief executive of virtual fitting room provider Fits.me, thinks that a 40% return rate is actually pretty good.
"Anecdotally I have heard of rates approaching 70% in January as unwanted or incorrect Christmas gifts and spontaneous purchases made during post-Christmas Sales are returned," said Haldre. "Irrespective of how return rates are reported or accounted for, or whether they are 40% or 70%, such levels must be crippling for retailers - just the impact on cash flow must be painful."
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...