News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers brace for huge volumes of returned gifts
Over half of American consumers are choosing to ship unwanted gifts back to online retailers rather than brave the January sales crowds to return them in person, while in the UK up to 40% of fashion purchases are returned during January.
A FedEx survey of more than 1,000 adults in the U.S. reveals that, of the 36% of Americans who expect to return a Christmas gift, over half (57%) will return items via the mail.
In the days following Christmas, returns to online retailers sent via the FedEx Ground network surged more than 25%. That rise is not surprising as free return shipping offers are one of the main drivers for online shopping, and many consumers prefer the ease of sending items back in the mail rather than brave the stores and malls.
In the U.K, up to 40% of fashion purchases and between 5% and 10% of electrical goods bought online are returned in January, according to new research from ecommerce consultant Javelin Group. That compares to a 30% return rate for fashion retailers throughout the year, as shoppers attempt to accurately assess sizing online.
Heikki Haldre, founder and chief executive of virtual fitting room provider Fits.me, thinks that a 40% return rate is actually pretty good.
"Anecdotally I have heard of rates approaching 70% in January as unwanted or incorrect Christmas gifts and spontaneous purchases made during post-Christmas Sales are returned," said Haldre. "Irrespective of how return rates are reported or accounted for, or whether they are 40% or 70%, such levels must be crippling for retailers - just the impact on cash flow must be painful."
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...