News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Data spending will surge in 2013
One 2012 trend that looks to become even bigger in 2013? Data spending. A new report out this week indicates many brands will be focused on data throughout the year - better data analysis and better data collection will be among the areas getting the most attention.
The report, a collaboration between Infogroup Targeting Solutions and Yesmail Interactive, found that nearly 70% of brands/marketers plan to increase data related spending throughout the year. Much of the spend will go to hiring employees to oversee data collection and analysis.
"When it comes to big data, hope is not a strategy," said Michael Fisher, president of Yesmail Interactive. "In 2013, brands should be taking a disciplined approach to building out their data operations. Data collection has been the easy part; the new challenge will be connecting the dots between different types of data across multiple channels. That's really where marketers can get to know their customers on a deeper level."
Other findings from the report include:
• 68% of respondents say they'll increase data related spending in 2013
• 56% say they'll hire new employees to better handle the data load
• 5% say they'll hire an executive to oversee new data initiatives
• 83% say they'll use date to improve website performance, 72% for email performance, 59% for social performance
"Companies should be going back to the basics and building a solid foundation for their data initiatives," said Don Patrick, president of Infogroup Targeting Solutions. "They should be investing in processes, people and systems necessary for implementing a data strategy driven by getting to know their customers on a deeper level. It's critical to take a disciplined approach to putting all the right pieces into place."
Most respondents say they'll take a harder look at customers' social graph data to try to improve cross channel campaigns; less than half say they'll use customer data to drive offline campaigns.
- Ad Roundup: Releases for content monetization
- In ecommerce, personalization missing the mark
- Product imagery on retailers' mobile sites lags desktop versions
- Why the press release is (still) not dead
- Expert: Why B2Bers need social
- Is your branded content memorable?
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...